Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Package a game for Windows desktop — Gideros Forum

Package a game for Windows desktop

Can anyone help me with packaging my game into an .exe package? I found in the documentation how to make an executable for Windows Desktop, but I didn't find anything about making an install package with the .dll file necessary to run the file.

I used the export function in Gideros (I did it with both the Windows Desktop and the Win32 options) and this created an executable file which runs the game fine as long as I double click the file in the directory the export function puts it in. If I move the executable out of that directory and try to run it, I get error messages for missing .dll files. From my previous experience, this doen’t surprise me.

When I was using löve, it worked the same. To make an executable package that I could send to someone and all they had to do was click the file to run it, I used the Windows packaging program Iexpress. With this (for löve), I put all of the necessary files in a single directory. In the Iexpress process, you choose everything you want included in the pakage, select the executable file that the package should run and then Iexpress creates an executable file that runs like a champ.

I tried this method with my Gideros project, and when I run the Iexpress created executable, I still get error messages about missing .dll files.

I’ve attached a screenshot which shows the game directory after the game is exported (this is the one for Windows Desktop, not Win32) and one of the error messages. Sorry the message is in Portuguese, but that’s the language of my system. From the screenshot you can see that the libwinpthread-1.dll file was reported as missing from the computer. You can also see that this file is in the game’s directory and ALL of these files were included in the package.

And it’s the same for both exports, Windows Desktop and Win32.

Is there a way to package a Gideros produced game for the Windows desktop which creates one single file that the user just has to click to play the game? Of course I can leave the Gideros produced executable in the directory, zip that directory, send it to the person and they can unzip the directory, go into it and double click the executable, but that’s not really an acceptable way to distribute a game.
package_fail.PNG
1235 x 606 - 102K

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• i think the 'acceptable' or 'proper' way to distribute a game is usually by providing an installer.
  • Hi keszegh.

That's what I'm asking how to do. You call it an installer, I called this a package created into an .exe file. I guess your term is better, more clear. Anyway, Iexpress, the Windows packaging program I mentioned, creates an .exe file which is an installer. It worked great for my löve games, but doesn't work for my Gideros game. So I'm looking for an alternative, or even just a script I can run to create an installer.
  • An installer program would be the best way to go, once you get it setup then you just make a new version of your game then re-run the installer maker and it will make the file to send out.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • I'm sorry, but you lost me. I exported a working version of my game which gave me a .exe file which works if it is run from the folder it was created in. I then used Windows' built in installer maker, IEpress, but the .exe file doesn't work. I don't understand what new version you are referring to that I should re-run in the installer maker.
  • Include the libwinpthread-1.dll library in the game directory
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
  • rpallenrpallen Member
    edited February 2018
    I got the same error message for other .dll files. The screenshot I sent shows the game directory. When I run the Gideros produced .exe file in that directory, it runs fine, so the game shouldn't need anything that's not in that directory. When I ran IExpress I included everything that is in that directory (everything shown in the screenshot). Including the libwinpthread-1.dll file.

Is there some way to verify that IExpress did, in fact, include it?
  • olegoleg Member
    edited February 2018
    "Is there some way to verify that IExpress did, in fact, include it?"

open the directory where the game is installed and see if there are libraries there
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
  • try installforge or some other installer creator by googling them.
  • Iexpress is an embarrassment to microsoft. It can't even reproduce folder structures which is why your app does not work when the exe is run.

InstallForge will do the job properly.
  • Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to create an installer with InstallForge, but ...

Seems like there's always a "but". I know this isn't an "InstallForge" forum, but perhaps someone here can help. On the shortcuts page I checked the boxes for the installer to create a Desktop shortcut and a Start menu shortcut. Neither was created (and I tried several times). I don't really want to tell users of my game that they need to go to c://programfiles(x86)/aprendacomjogos/EnglishSimpleTense.exe and double click it to start the game or manually create shortcuts to this file. Anyone have any idea why this isn't creating the shortcuts?
  • antixantix Member
    @rpallen. When you are making the shortcuts and you want both (desktop and start menu) you will need to add two entries in the list. If you look at the following picture you will see I made one for the start menu only. You need to change the type to startmenu (highlighted in green in my picture).

Then your shortcut should appear in the start menu :)
    Untitled.jpg
    274 x 414 - 27K

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook