Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Website Upgrade - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Gideros Website Upgrade

Comments

• "he way the current system manages alleviates the rapid expansion issue is to collapse a class when you select another. Whilst that does work, it also becomes annoying if the user was not done in the previous class, which has now been collapsed."
    - in your version also the previous class info disappears, so i do not see the advantage.

btw aside from these problems i think your reference is pretty good in many other ways.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • at least the function list should be on the very top of a class subpage.

i also agree with " New reference doesn't have static links" to be an important thing.
  • @keszegh okay I get that. Maybe I can have a link there to the old version for people who want to use that ;)

I'll put some thought into adding a second row to the left column though this might be outside my ability to implement :(
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    @keszegh The only solution to the problem of linking to specific pages in the API Reference and having them load into the 2 column layout with the file tree is to include all of that code (the column code and so on) inside the class page its self. Whilst this is technically possible I'm not overly keen on doing this because it begins to bloat the datasize.

If you look at the current system and entire API Reference is about 79MB and the new one.. well it's sitting at just under 1MB now and contains all of the information that the old one does.
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    keszegh said:

"he way the current system manages alleviates the rapid expansion issue is to collapse a class when you select another. Whilst that does work, it also becomes annoying if the user was not done in the previous class, which has now been collapsed."
    - in your version also the previous class info disappears, so i do not see the advantage.

btw aside from these problems i think your reference is pretty good in many other ways.

@keszegh I think I might have not explained that correctly. In the new system if you are navigating through the tree nothing auto collapses, but in the old system it does auto collapse from inside that tree. I hope that clears it up ;)

And thanks :)
  • If the data was on a server then an ajax could be used to get more data and display it on the same page.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • I'm thinking how to make a second row in the folder tree but it might not be possible. I have however shortened all of the links in the documentation so instead of having "mesh.new" it only lists "new" so it is a little easier to see more links on the page.

I did however get linking to work so you can have links that will take you to the specific class and method inside the API Reference
    http://g2d.atwebpages.com/reference.html?class=io&method=output
    http://g2d.atwebpages.com/reference.html?class=b2.Joint&method=getAnchorB
    http://g2d.atwebpages.com/reference.html?class=Sound&method=play
  • shortening from Mesh.new to new made it already much more readable, i'd still put the list at the top in case you do not succeed with the additional column.

links are also great, but they should be visible in the browser automatically when one clicked on the respective class/function.
  • btw events are not listed, see e.g. Sprite class, also anyway
    lists of Methods, Events, and Properties should be after each other and not together.
  • @keszegh, I'll look into the link thing, but that might not be possible.
    Thanks for pointing out the event stuff,. I hadn't seen those. I'll update everything to include those in the next couple of days :)
  • I've updated the API Reference to include events also ;)

Considering having multiple rows in the left column so methods can be seen as well.. wouldn't there logically need to be rows for events and constants also? I personally feel this would make the interface way too busy and more difficult to navigate than it should be.

Thoughts anyone?
  • I think it would become too busy. Ajax could be used though like I mentioned, but the data would have to be in a database.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    I have fleshed out the download page a bit, what do you think? It needs a little beautifying maybe.
  • the old system is better
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
  • yes, I don't like the new download page at all - the old one is much better.
  • This is just the start of the page but really what was so compelling about the old page. This is the kind of feedback that would be useful :)

Personally I thought there was too much information contained on the old page. I think that more information could be added to the new page but most likely hidden in accordions :)
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited February 2018
    the old download page looked nice and was functional, i liked it (more) too. the only thing is that probably the sliders should have been some preferences only and not directly related to money (as anyway they were not spent on the desired feature most probably).
    so optimally:
    one slider plus input place to set donation amount.
    additional sliders to change preferences, in percentage (looking like in humblebundle).

overall the old one is more appealing than this barebones one.
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    You really need a slider? What if somebody wants to donate a very large amount They would have to type it in anyway since if the slider goes from 0 to a million it would be hard to donate just a small amount due to the sensitivity of the slider :wink:

I really do not see what people see in the system where you donated based on what you wanted improved (but more often than not did not get) :(

On the old page you could scroll down and download immediately but if you wanted to donate there was no indication of how to do that at all (or that it was even possible). There is another download button that takes you to the donation and download page but no hint that you could donate until you clicked the button and the page actually loaded.

Although it's just a very stark page I think it is good that you immediately are able to donate, and also download quickly, which IMHO are the only two reasons the page exists :D
  • I like your version of the dowload page @antix: it's shorter and cleaner.
    Imo, we don't need more info/content that you put.
    It just need some css to look neat.

• @Atavismus thanks. Yes it needs some CSS magic, and lots of it ;)
  • @antix See how donats are made on a kickstarter
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
  • or on humblebundle (bottom of any bundle page):
    donate e.g. 1usd, 3usd, 10usd or custom amount (clicking on last changes it to an enter amount place).
    and then a collapsible " Choose where your money goes" set of sliders.
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    I think for now I'm going to stick with a simple box where you can accept the default amount, or enter another, and no sliders for where you would prefer your donation to go.

Later if somebody else thinks they might like to add further functionality that would be good and I suppose I can host the site on GitHub to allow more community based editing?

Wow the humble bundle site hurt my eyes, so much stuff popping open popping closed, changing dimensions. That's one busy site!
  • I have been working on the Download and Guide pages of the new website. I think they are both looking better now. Agree or disagree?

• antix said:

I have been working on the Download and Guide pages of the new website. I think they are both looking better now. Agree or disagree?

Can you provide urls? I just see old pages:
    http://giderosmobile.com/download
    http://giderosmobile.com/guide
    (or maybe I just didn't recognize latest changes, I don't remember these pages in all the details)
    > Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    “The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
  • talistalis Guru
    edited February 2018
    antix said:

I have fleshed out the download page a bit, what do you think? It needs a little beautifying maybe.

Old system was better, i agree.
    Donation is coming from person's heart. So it is purely without expectation and from their gratitude actually. Believe me no one will donate to any system if somehow it is not beneficial to them. So:
    -When people raise their voice on something it is comforting them. Choosing the development wishes before donating was good. At least it was giving an opportunity to us to raise our voices to the developers and stimulating the developers in a way. (We are using the forum regularly but lots of people are not on the forum actively) . After a month if 3D topics takes the most donation it can encourage the developers to lead Gideros to that way a little bit more.
    -In addition maybe those results can be published in the forum in a sticky topic so we can encourage plug-in writers also. I don't know you guys but sometimes when i am sharing some code on the forum, i am always checking statistics like how many people thanked me, replied to my comments etc.. It is a human thing , everyone wanted to be liked by others psychologically.

Lastly, for marketing purposes only, if we will put links according to operating systems like now, surely there must be written in the beginning or specified WINDOWS 10 (not Windows Vista or newer). I know it comes silly to specify it is supporting Windows 10 (as it was obvious it is supporting) but look at all products nowadays. Even on brand new graphic cards boxes it is written Windows 10 supported. It is purely marketing i guess:D In the subconscious mind Vista is giving the taste of old systems. (And i hate Vista with all my life like i hated windows millennium edition )

Thanks again for the hard work, and the time you were contributing to this topic @antix Really appreciated
  • antixantix Member
    edited February 2018
    @talis I don't quite get it. You are saying the old system is better and that nobody will donate if there is nothing beneficial to them. But this is exactly why I stopped donating, because I donated for infrastructure upgrades and they never happened.

It is a tricky balance and I think most people were okay with the old system because they donated for new features which has been the direction development has flowed. I love new features and am excited to see what is happening in mid March (I have a good idea what it might be I think) but other areas (like the website) need some love too :wink:

I think the marketing thing could get out of hand. For windows there is Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Now these might fit into one line on the downloads page but.. consider that pesky MacOSX...

Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah, Mac OS X 10.1 Puma, Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.11 El Capitan, macOS 10.12 Sierra, macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Really we have to draw the line somewhere :D

Seriously though, I can put the MicroSoft ones in ;)

What did you think of the Guide page?
  • Hi bros, there's a probs in Reference docs.giderosmobile.com/reference/plugin/GoogleBilling#GoogleBilling some html tags are converted to enteties and page kinda not readable.
    vk.com/yan_alex
  • @antix there is a misunderstanding, what i said was if people are donating they already acquired some benefit form Gideros somehow and liked it (It is either the welcoming of community. either the features, either money and so on...). I will not donate to no system because i expect something from it. It is not called a donation. Donation should be the word for respecting the job that is done already.
    And the power to stimulate the developers in a way is good indeed. (By selecting the feature to donate, it is not a paid service it is just a voice that's been raised)

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook