Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
GTween an sprite using different easings — Gideros Forum

GTween an sprite using different easings

FavflyFavfly Member
edited July 2017 in General questions
I’ve created a MovieClip sprite that repeats an animation over and over. I want to move that sprite from one place on screen to another. I’ve achieved that with the following gtween.
GTween.new(animatingMovClip, 2, {x = xPos, y = yPos}, {ease = easing.inQuadratic})
However, I want to alter the sprite’s alpha over the course of that move, but not using easing.inQuadratic - I’d like it to use a different easing. How do I do that?

Comments

• totebototebo Member
    Accepted Answer
    You have to create a new GTween to do that.

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • FavflyFavfly Member
    Lol! That was easy. :-D

I'm new to GTween. I've been using MovieClip, which is great... but now seems a lot slower the GTween.

Thanks.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    @FavFly just be aware that GTween will really suck CPU resources when you use a lot of them. It really needs a rewrite to not be an EventDispatcher to make it perform better. Use it sparingly and you will be fine :)

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • FavflyFavfly Member
    "...GTween will really suck CPU resources when you use a lot of them."
    Out of interest, how many is too many? ...Or is it just a case of 'you'll know when it's too many'? :-D
  • totebototebo Member
    Do a test and see what works for you. I find MovieClip to be (much) faster, but it may depend on how you use them. Maybe the creation is the bottleneck and you need to pool GTweens or MovieClips.

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • antixantix Member
    Yes the bottleneck is usually the creation and yes, a pool of them would be more efficient and then in the worst case scenario create new ones if the pool is depleted.

It could possibly be rewritten to use a single EnterFrame event to process a table of all currently running tweens too.
  • rrraptorrrraptor Member
    edited July 2017
    @FavFly just be aware that GTween will really suck CPU resources when you use a lot of them. It really needs a rewrite to not be an EventDispatcher to make it perform better. Use it sparingly and you will be fine :)
    :-?
    Im using this construction:
    function animateSprite(sprite, target, duration, ease)
    	if (sprite.gt) then
    		sprite.gt:setValues(target)
    		sprite.gt:setDuration(duration or 1)
    		sprite.gt:setEase(ease or easing.linear)
    		sprite.gt:setPaused(false)
    	else
    		sprite.gt = GTween.new(sprite, duration or 1, target, {ease = ease or easing.linear})
    	end
    end
    Is it enough to maintain 54 animations at the same time (init animation and level restart animation)?

I was trying to do same thing with MovieClip, but there is no setters... you can only create new one. And i don't really like frame binding instead of time duration, but if it is more effective, then I will have to use it.
  • antixantix Member
    @rrraptor it all depends on what it will run on. You should make a worst case scenario (so 54 or more) and see how it runs on your target device.

I have an old Nexus4 phone as my lowest target device.
  • rrraptorrrraptor Member
    edited July 2017
    @antix so, i made a quick test on Samsung Galaxy S GT-S7562 (1GHz, 756 mb RAM, snap MSM7227A). Everything works perfect, no lags, all animations is smooth, so i think that GTween is pretty good, at least for my purposes.