Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Add drop shadow to a Sprite — Gideros Forum

Add drop shadow to a Sprite

totebototebo Member
edited January 2017 in General questions
If a single-colour sprite it too light in my game I want to apply a drop shadow to it. The intensity should depend on the average RGB lightness.

Option 1: Use a bitmap dropshadow and control the intensity with alpha. This is not ideal, because I have to create a drop shadow bitmap for every object that needs it.

Option 2: SHADERS! Surely this must be possible using a shader? They are still a mystery to me, so I wouldn't know where to start.

Option 3: Maybe there is a better way still?

drop_shadow.png
650 x 301 - 23K
My Gideros games: www.totebo.com

Comments

• Maybe this will work:

Anchor point in the middle, make a second sprite with the same texture, set colour transform to 0,0,0 then alpha to 0.5, make it very slightly larger and draw it first.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Cheers sinister. I think maybe drop shadows are a bit overkill for shaders. May just stick to the extra bitmap, so I have full control of how it looks.
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • But this can not generate the feather edge for the shadow
  • antixantix Member
    edited January 2017
    I think Shaders would be the only way to create a drop-shadow with feathering. If you get it working share the results, I could use a Shader that makes blurry stuff :)
  • piepie Member
    The Bloom example included in gideros seems to be a good starting point, even this one could be interesting to start writing your own (never tried it yet, but since it's coming from hgy29 I believe it will work :) )
    http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6682/radial-blur-effect-class#Item_1

otherwise there is shadertoy

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6667/shadertoy-viewer-beta-shaders-from-www-shadertoy-com-in-gideros/p1

there should be a drop shadow here! :)
  • @pie the first one seems viable. You could make a sprite a bit larger than the original image, blur it, draw it to a rendertarget, and you would have your drop shadow.

I should really have a look at all those other shaders sometime too :)

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Again quick try:
    local DropShadowVShader=
    [[
    attribute vec4 POSITION0;
    attribute vec2 TEXCOORD0;

uniform mat4 g_MVPMatrix;

varying mediump vec2 texCoord;

void main()
    {
    	gl_Position = g_MVPMatrix * POSITION0;
    	texCoord = TEXCOORD0;
    }
    ]]

local DropShadowFShader=[[
    uniform lowp sampler2D gTex;
    uniform mediump vec4 maskInfo;

varying mediump vec2 texCoord;
    uniform mediump vec4 fTexSize;

#ifdef GLES2
    precision mediump float;
    #endif

void main()
    {
    	vec4 texc= texture2D(gTex, texCoord);
    	mediump float shadow=0.0; 
    	mediump vec2 centerDir=normalize((fTexSize.xy/2.0-texCoord)/fTexSize.xy)*fTexSize.zw;
    	for (int k=0;k<=15;k++)
    	{
    		vec4 p=texture2D(gTex, texCoord+centerDir*float(k));
    		shadow=shadow+p.a;
    	}
    	shadow=pow(2.0,shadow/16.0)-1.0;
    	if (shadow<=0.0) discard;
    	vec4 frag=mix(vec4(0.3,0.3,0.3,shadow),texc,texc.a);
    	gl_FragColor = frag;
    }
    ]]

local DropShadowShaderAttrs=
    {
    {name="POSITION0",type=Shader.DFLOAT,mult=3,slot=0,offset=0},
    {name="vColor",type=Shader.DUBYTE,mult=0,slot=1,offset=0},
    {name="TEXCOORD0",type=Shader.DFLOAT,mult=2,slot=2,offset=0}
    }

local DropShadowShaderConstants={
    {name="g_MVPMatrix",type=Shader.CMATRIX,sys=Shader.SYS_WVP, vertex=true},
    {name="fTexSize",type=Shader.CFLOAT4,sys=Shader.SYS_TEXTUREINFO,vertex=false},
    {name="gTex",type=Shader.CTEXTURE,mult=1,vertex=false}
    }

local DropShadowShader= Shader.new(
    DropShadowVShader,DropShadowFShader,
    Shader.FLAG_FROM_CODE,DropShadowShaderConstants,DropShadowShaderAttrs) 

local piece=Bitmap.new(Texture.new("shape.png",true))
    piece:setShader(DropShadowShader)

application:setBackgroundColor(0xFFFFFF)

stage:addChild(piece) 
    piece:setPosition(50,50)

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @hgy29, your nice shader examples should be collected somewhere visible, on the reference page or adding it always to a shader example project (added to the examples of gideros visible upon startup).

• these shader for common effect may consider to included into the engine, and exported by Shader.SHADOW, Shader.BLUR, for easy to use as sprite:setShader(Shader.SHADOW)
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    I had the idea to make them available as a plugin, since the new plugin system makes it easy to integrate into a final app. @Sinistersoft thinks I should write a book too :)

But gideros needs a little more work to make them easy to use, in particular blur effect needs a rendertarget, and it would be good if gideros could automatically cache pre-rendered sprite hierarchy in a rendertarget for that purpose, when needed.
    But we need to be careful: what about nested effects/recursive render targets ?

Gideros should also expose more internal state to the shaders: actual texture bounds, generalized support for texture regions, etc
  • YanYan Member
    edited January 2017
    I had the idea to make them available as a plugin, since the new plugin system makes it easy to integrate into a final app. @Sinistersoft thinks I should write a book too :)

But gideros needs a little more work to make them easy to use, in particular blur effect needs a rendertarget, and it would be good if gideros could automatically cache pre-rendered sprite hierarchy in a rendertarget for that purpose, when needed.
    But we need to be careful: what about nested effects/recursive render targets ?

Gideros should also expose more internal state to the shaders: actual texture bounds, generalized support for texture regions, etc

How can I provide a custom data to shader, to achieve those lighting effects (now I got only raycast version of lightning, want to remake this on shaders)

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XldGRS

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XldGRS

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4tcSzl

and so on. I found a good topic about:

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6667/shadertoy-viewer-beta-shaders-from-www-shadertoy-com-in-gideros/p1

But didnt tried this lib yet
    vk.com/yan_alex
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    You can supply your own 'attribute' data by using Mesh sprite, and setting generic arrays:
    -- Set normal coordinates as attribute n°3
    mesh:setGenericArray(3,Shader.DFLOAT,3,#obj.normals/3,obj.normals)
    You'll need to declare your new attribute when creating the shader:
    {name="NORMAL0",type=Shader.DFLOAT,mult=3,slot=3,offset=0}
  • YanYan Member
    edited January 2017
    You can supply your own 'attribute' data by using Mesh sprite, and setting generic arrays:
    -- Set normal coordinates as attribute n°3
    mesh:setGenericArray(3,Shader.DFLOAT,3,#obj.normals/3,obj.normals)
    You'll need to declare your new attribute when creating the shader:
    {name="NORMAL0",type=Shader.DFLOAT,mult=3,slot=3,offset=0}
    Does this two different approches ? Is the second is regular ? I just want to pass some light source data: radius, intense and position. Can I just use a custom normal attribute to pass this values, as you showed in 2nd example.

Im not good in lowlevel programming, so I need the easiest approach, cause Meshs are hard for me now.
    vk.com/yan_alex
  • YanYan Member
    edited January 2017
    I noticed that in shadertoy player, that they ported to Gideros, they using setConstant func to provide extra data to shader subprogram, is this a right way ?
    vk.com/yan_alex
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Yes, if you need to pass some value that doesn't depend on actual geometry (constant or uniform), then you should use shader:setConstant() or sprite:setShaderConstant
  • YanYan Member
    Yes, if you need to pass some value that doesn't depend on actual geometry (constant or uniform), then you should use shader:setConstant() or sprite:setShaderConstant
    Nice thank you, again ! =)
    vk.com/yan_alex