Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Latest sample of writing a Android/iOS - Plugin — Gideros Forum

Latest sample of writing a Android/iOS - Plugin

pappupappu Member
edited December 2016 in Plugins
Hi,

Am coming back to gideros world after a looong time ( 3 years ) and i have been following it on and off.. I am looking at it again to write a game for fun !!.. And first thing i want to do is to write a plugin to use websockets.

I was wondering if there is a existing plugin for the same.
else
Can someone point me to a latest tutorial for writing a plugin. I did a google search and found some which are couple of years old.. If nothing has changed since then for plugins i will use them and refresh my memory !:)

Finally I promise if i have a working plugin I'll give it back :-)

(Also I had to create a new account since i am not receiving emails on my old account)
-uk

Comments

• @pappu Hopefully the guides will get updated soon. Let us know how you get on as I have a very keen interest in creating and maintaining plugins for Android this year.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Me too. I am beginning to discover a lot of things that would be better as plugins myself.
  • I was also interested in a websocket plugin.
  • I'm also very much interested in anything new about plugin development. I've written the API for a native mapping plugin, plus the Android and iOS native code to implement it, and just need the Gideros bridge between the Lua interface and the iOS and Android code. Ar2rsawseen had offered to help with that step to complete a mapping plugin, but I gather other aspects of life have taken priority, so that hasn't moved forward. I'd welcome help from anyone with completing this project.

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • +1 for a websocket plugin!
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hey, maybe this is a dumb question but, what would be the use of a websocket plugin, beside HTML5 export ?
  • @hgy29 I think it because of there are many game server support WebSocket (Written in node js, and open source on Github). And with WebSocket API support in Gideros, we have one client SDK that supports all platform (mobile and html5)
    Coming soon
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    You mean that some game servers would support WebSocket ONLY ? Gideros actually supports WebSocket (ok, untested!) in HTML5 export, in fact this is done through luasocket automatically, ie opening a TCP conn from HTML5 through luasocket actually opens a WebSocket
  • Yes almost of them support js client (WebSocket only).
    Ah, so you mean if we connect to game server from Gideros using TCP, when we export html5, it auto convert into WebSocket connection?
    Coming soon
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Yes, thats what I mean... or rather thats what I understood. We use emscripten to convert C to JS code, and they claim to convert native sockets to websockets internally. Well I read it some time ago but I can't find where in the docs exactly. Worth a try ?
  • If anyone tries this out I'd be very keen to hear the result!

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • Sorry for being away for a while.. lua is hobby and java is pay :)

Anyways the idea of websocket as rightly mentioned above is to be able to easily create and connect to websocket servers ( easily created socket.io ) making mulitplayer gaming much easier. I am currently experimenting with channel ( + django ) as server setup.. I have some version of websocket plugin working for android.. its in sending and receiving messages and can close gracefully. Will harden it up a bit before adding it to github.

-uk

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook