Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros 2016.12 released! — Gideros Forum

Gideros 2016.12 released!

SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
edited December 2016 in Announcements
We are pleased to announce the release of Gideros 2016.12.

The biggest new improvements in this release are to the export system. Being able to make exports easier is currently our highest priority. See: http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6800/direct-apk-export

Important note: Not tested on AppleTV or Windows RT/UWP.

If you export to these platforms then please confirm all ok on this thread.

I will test on AppleTV as soon as I can, but my version of xcode was not up to date enough to play on the latest version of TVOS - I'm downloading it now though!

With some of the main team members unavailable over Christmas, we thought that it would be best to release this now - possible bugs and all. If you find any issues then we can fix them in a 2016.12.1 release after the holiday period. :)

NEW
  • Beginnings of XML test code for Microsoft Ads (Windows RT/UWP)
  • Requires plugin: This specifies requirements for the manifest and other slight adjustments
  • Lua <-> XML bridge for plugin system with ios export lib in Lua
  • Plugin system download third party libs automatically (cached)
  • Full orientation option for apps that are both portrait and landscape
  • App Name in project properties so it can be different than the project name
IMPROVEMENTS
  • Camera plugin: Added mandatory option
  • Camera plugin: Added usage description (ios)
  • Gaming plugin: Updated to latest Google and Amazon libs
  • IAB plugin: Updated to latest Google and Amazon libs and helpers
  • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Admob (untested), AppLovin and Chartboost for Ads plugin
  • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Google Play and Amazon Game Circle for Gaming plugin
  • Added information to Android manifest for Android and Fire TV compatibility
  • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Google and Amazon payment systems for IAB plugin
  • No encryption if not required
  • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Flurry plugin
  • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Controller plugin
  • Android apps will now prefer to be installed on external memory (Google and Amazon preferred method)
  • Permission to write to external storage now only asked for if player
BUGFIXES
  • AppLovin ads plugin: needed onRefresh()
  • Particle init time reference wasn't set to zero on init
  • Renamed TV icon to TV Banner
  • Fixed studio crash if you tinkered with plugin settings too much
  • Fixed lua context issues
  • Fixed iab crash due to nil string
  • Icon, splash and banner images were not being compressed
  • Bitcode was being exported for ios simulator libs
  • Fixed MovieClip reference holding
  • Fixed typo in facebook plugin

Merry Christmas!
Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
https://deluxepixel.com
+1 -1 (+16 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• I forgot to mention that @hgy29 has spent a lot (most?) of his time over the couple of months getting the plugin system ready, making new plugin scripts, etc - I'm sure he would appreciate people sending him thanks. His work has made Gideros much better and easier to use.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    +1 -1 (+6 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    edited December 2016
    Here is the current status of plugins in this release (attached picture).
    Green cells are plugins that are automatically exportable (without user changing files), red ones are plugins still requiring manual intervention.
    We focused on Android/APK at first, iOS will be next.
    2016-12-19_09-34-43.png
    1426 x 1728 - 72K
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Permission to write to external storage now only asked for if player.
    is it safe to remove this permission for all API levels?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    I forgot to mention that @hgy29 has spent a lot (most?) of his time over the couple of months getting the plugin system ready, making new plugin scripts, etc - I'm sure he would appreciate people sending him thanks. His work has made Gideros much better and easier to use.
    Thanks @SinisterSoft, but you forgot to mention that you also spent a lot of time testing those plugins and actually writing/fixing some of those plugin scripts yourself. A lot of useful plugins wouldn't be ready now if you hadn't been there too.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited December 2016
    @hgy29 - np :)

@Xman - It shouldn't be. Unless you store files externally? If you can test on an older device and let us know, if it is a problem then we can sort it out with a patch or something.
  • There is a slight problem with AppleTV export. @hgy29 has already fixed it. If you export to apple TV then download this file:

http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/libgideros-atv.zip

Then go to the GiderosStudio application, right click and open the contents. Copy that file over the one at:

Templates/Xcode4/iOS Template/AppleTV

Then AppleTV should export to xcode ok. Tested with the latest XCode.
  • talistalis Guru
    edited December 2016
    I personally again appreciating all the people who are involved in this release of Gideros..
    I just want to remind all the Gideros users as a normal Gideran, if you are using Gideros as a commercial product and earning money by using it, to receive better updates, to supply motivation just don't think and donate. The team really deserves it in my eyes.
    If you are just experimenting gideros for teaching, fun or personal usage please try to be active on forums, help new comers, spread the word.
    Even donation is not a mandatory thing all the job that is done so far far more deserves it.

+1 -1 (+6 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited December 2016
  • @hgy29 - np :)

@Xman - It shouldn't be. Unless you store files externally? If you can test on an older device and let us know, if it is a problem then we can sort it out with a patch or something.
    But isn't this permission granted automatically for API
    Above 18.For API lower than 19 it still requires if I don't misunderstand the official doc.
    I do not get a old device to test this.

• tytadastytadas Member
    edited December 2016
    I personally again appreciating all the people who are involved in this release of Gideros..
    I just want to remind all the Gideros users as a normal Gideran, if you are using Gideros as a commercial product and earning money by using it, to receive better updates, to supply motivation just don't think and donate. The team really deserves it in my eyes.
    If you are just experimenting gideros for teaching, fun or personal usage please try to be active on forums, help new comers, spread the word.
    Even donation is not a mandatory thing all the job that is done so far far more deserves it.

@talis yea man your right. Half of new things and releases i dont even understand, but I have in my mind about every stuff they adding.

Thanks to Gideros team! I will donate ASAP!
  • it does not relate exactly to this release but i see a lot of spam-like developers here:
    http://giderosmobile.com/profiles
  • @Xman Most apps don't need to access external files to the area that the app has - it's walled garden. So they should be ok. The player does need access to external files to the app because the player keeps it's files there - they are redirected for the player. That is why when you make a player and then press the screen, you will see the other apps you have also made and you can quickly play them.

So, if it's not needed then by requesting it you will put some people off installing your app because they don't know why it wants to access files outside of your apps 'space'.
  • XmanXman Member
    edited December 2016
    OK, thanks for your explanation. I just want to confirm that data saved in |D| dir will not effected by this.
    Oh Yes, exported app save file to internal dir returned by getFilesDir, no additional permission is required.
  • It should be ok. Ideally someone here can test though and let us know for sure. Currently 99.9% sure it should be ok.
  • XmanXman Member
    edited December 2016
    exported splash size is not as expected from 2016.10
    Generating splash horizontal (320x200)
    Generating splash horizontal (480x320)
    Generating splash horizontal (800x480)
    Generating splash horizontal (1280x720)
    Generating splash horizontal (1600x960)
    Generating splash horizontal (1920x1280)

All splash is square like 1920x1920 ...

Even if this is intended for all orientations, the cropped images should be center aligned.
    edited December 2016
    Is this for Android export? I seem to have the right sizes, but you are right about them not being centered for some reason (tested landscape export).
  • XmanXman Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes for Android.
    Maybe it's due to my original image is a big square image,
    but the logo at the center of the image should be still at the center for each size after export.

• I used a 1920x1080 for the landscape splash and 1080x1920 for the portrait splash.

I did notice that when I first load them in properties they seem ok, but if I go back to properties, the images there look smaller than they were when I first loaded them.

@hgy29 may know more why?
  • in the latest 2016.10 release,It seems no problem for export splash
  • MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited December 2016
    I just tried apk export for the first time using Gideros 2016.12 on Mac OS.

On export I don't see any plugins for Chartboost or AppLovin so do I have to download them and point Gideros at them or something?

Also I was using Android Studio before to build apk's so not sure I have an actual JDK directory or even Android SDK directory now as Android Studio is an singular app in Applications on Mac.

Key Store is OK as I have that of course :)

I think I am missing something big time or maybe I need to use the Windows version of Gideros with older Eclipse setup that had JDK and SDK dirs etc?

A bit confused TBH.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @MobAmuse,

You should see a plugin for 'Ads' in the plugin list, Chartboost and Applovin are enabled within Ads framework through tickboxes.

APK export uses Android Studio tooling, and Android Studio itself needs Java and Android SDK, although it download/manages them for you. Either find Android SDK and Java locations within your Android Studio installation, or install them separately.
  • @MobAmuse Also don't forget that on the mac, an app is really just a folder with a .app extension.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited December 2016
    On mac os...

Hmmmm OK after I checked a bit further with your help I still don't see a plugin for 'Ads' in the plugin list i.e. the list is empty?

I can build the apk (update: output not an apk however - see more below) now but there are no charboost or applovin libs in it of course because of this.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 1.53.26 pm copy.png
    1209 x 736 - 88K
  • I know what it is. John didn't sign it - so gatekeeper is running it from the wrong location. Hold on...

edited December 2016

• I now see 'Ads' so ticked those :)

I have SDK path set on my mac as /Users/Age/Library/Android/sdk

and have JDK path set as /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_71.jdk

I build the apk with my keystore as expected, but it spits out a directory in the name of the project that contains a directory called 'tmp' with a load of stuff in it ...not an .apk as expected.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 2.51.43 pm copy.png
    1161 x 925 - 126K
  • Output...
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 3.06.26 pm.png
    653 x 177 - 17K
  • I've got to go now so will try again 2moz.

Thanks.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Looks like export process failed... could you post here the content of your export log window ?