Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
cannot see 3d objects using Graphics3D example after loading costom 3d .obj files — Gideros Forum

cannot see 3d objects using Graphics3D example after loading costom 3d .obj files

ssimussimu Member
edited February 2016 in General questions
Hi,

I really love the Graphics3D example, & tried to modify with another .obj .mtl.
figured out loading was fine, but cannot see any images.. ( I've changed horse: scale & position,however, still the same)

Could you check the attached file, & let me know what was the problem?
I downloaded that from

tf3dm.com
zip
zip
mrkg20q1nh-Sprut.zip
10M

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hi @ssimu,

The provided .obj/.mtl loader is far from handling all files. I wrote it as a quick way to load the horse specifically. For one thing, it only handle triangle meshes and fails if anything unexpected is found.
    Since it s written in Lua, you can try to enhance it to accept your .obj file.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Ah. Got it.
    I'll try.
    Thank you anyway!!
  • It will take a load of effort to get this to work with output from different exporters. I got it working with my own Sketchup output but it only worked for one object :(

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Just gone through the same pain barrier with this in the last few days :P

I have tried quite few obj format exports complete with uv mapped textures and none display correctly or at all by fiddling with the horse example.

I feel another kickstarter coming on to offer better support for 3d model importing etc in gideros from apps like Blender, Sketchup etc.

Would really like to do some 3d texture based stuff in Gideros but currently the pain barrier with importing objects is to too high to make that a reality.

• I would vote for Blender models. Sketchup is kind of "sketchy". When you export from Sketchup and import into Blender, often there are huge amounts of broken polygons. Also Sketchup models seem to store every single texture you ever assigned to them so there is a huge amount of extraneous data there as well.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • +1 for Blender models.
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited August 2017
    It would be a big feature to provide 3D Blender format rendering support and 3D physics engine like bullet (https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3)

I am planing to develop a 3D game but Gideros does not provide me not enough features for it.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    I don't think it would be a good idea for gideros to support blender or other custom formats internally. IMHO, better have conversions tools (preprocessing) accessible from gideros studio that would output something nice for gideros (like .json).

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited August 2017
    yes, I'd prefer the files to be something I can follow - like points and a list of triangles that connect those points, etc...

That way I can hook into them and change them dynamically.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com