Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
TNT Collision Engine on Linux machine — Gideros Forum

TNT Collision Engine on Linux machine

freesspfreessp Member
edited February 2015 in Plugins
Has anyone had any success using TNT Collision Engine on a Linux machine (Ubuntu 14.04 to be precise)? Gideros Studio works great, but I cannot get any of the TNT Collision examples to work with the Windows Player running under Wine. I have placed the tntcollision.dll file in the proper location, but I still get an error saying "error loading module 'tntCollision' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision.dll': Module not found." Is it even possible to get this to work with Linux or does it need true Windows?

Of course, I will NEVER go back to Windows, so if it won't work, looks like I will be creating my own collision detection system. ~X(

Comments

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited February 2015
    I use Wine + Gideros on a Linux machine (Linux Mint), so you should copy tntCollision.dll to the plugins folder.

I use TNTCollision collision engine with my two games Arkamania and Arkasteroid.
  • Okay, I am trying to run the "BoxToBox_CollisionTest." When I copy the tntCollision.dll file to the Plugins folder, I get this error:

main.lua:15: module 'tntCollision' not found:
    no field package.preload['tntCollision']
    no file '.\tntCollision.lua'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\lua\tntCollision.lua'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\lua\tntCollision\init.lua'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision.lua'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision\init.lua'
    no file '.\tntCollision.dll'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision.dll'
    no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\loadall.dll'
    stack traceback:
    main.lua:15: in main chunk

If it works for you, I must be missing something. I have tried a few different things, I am thinking it has something to do with setting paths (maybe?). Any ideas?
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited February 2015
    require("tntCollision")

and then copy tntCollision.dll where the others dll files are inside plugins folder. It should work.

Check the name of the dll file and require, it must be the same because capital letters matters in Linux. I had the same problem with the name and capital letters.
  • Easier:

require("tntcollision")

and rename to tntcollision.dll within plugin folder.
  • Still no luck. All files names and cases match. I did a test to see if I could require any of the other .dll files from the Plugins folder, and those cannot be found either. I even tried re-installing Gideros and re-downloading TNT Collision Engine. It seems like the require statement is not pointing to the Plugins folder.

• Update: I found an older post where GregBUG was getting the same error when trying to compile TNT Collision Engine. Apparently it has something to do with using qt5. Windows needs qt4 instead for it to work. Can you confirm that jdbc?

I think I'm just going to write my own collision checks. I've done it before, but I was hoping to make things a little easier for myself.

Thanks for the help, though :)
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited February 2015 Accepted Answer
    I use Gideros 2014.01 version, lastest one does not work for me.

I guess the problem is QT 5 update.
  • Apollo14Apollo14 Member
    edited April 2018
    Guys! Does TNTcollision work in 2018?

I've downloaded v1.05, tried to open old examples, but errors are spawned:
    main.lua is uploading.
    Uploading finished.
    main.lua:16: module 'tntCollision' not found:
    	no field package.preload['tntCollision']
    	no file '.\tntCollision.lua'
    	no file '.\tntCollision\init.lua'
    	no file '.\_LuaPlugins_\tntCollision.lua'
    	no file '.\_LuaPlugins_\tntCollision\init.lua'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\lua\tntCollision.lua'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\lua\tntCollision\init.lua'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision.lua'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision\init.lua'
    	no file '.\tntCollision.dll'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\tntCollision.dll'
    	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\loadall.dll'
    stack traceback:
    	main.lua:16: in main chunk
    I placed 'tntCollision.dll' to C:/Program Files/Gideros/Plugins, it didn't help :(
    High-perfomance collision check looks like a really important plugin.
    > Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    “The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
  • You will need the version that isn't compiled Lua code. There is a 'full' version that has actual source code.

You also need to add file to your project.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    edited April 2018

You will need the version that isn't compiled Lua code. There is a 'full' version that has actual source code.

You also need to add file to your project.

Does somebody here have full version of TNT collision?
    On @GregBUG 's website there is just compiled version, no information how to get full version or event contact him.
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
  • antixantix Member
    @Apollo14 it does look good but if you only require Axis Aligned Bounding Box collision I would recommend using bump which is built into Gideros.

I noticed when looking at @GregBugs webpage that in the latest version he added maths helper functions that are much faster than lua code doing the same operations. I always thought Gideros should have an extended math library with faster functions of commonly used mathsy stuff in games :)
    edited April 2018
    antix said:

I always thought Gideros should have an extended math library with faster functions of commonly used mathsy stuff in games

If I'm not mistaken we already can do it with macro functions.
    http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6685/macro-functions-in-2016-8-2/p1
    http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6621/lua-built-in-macro/p1
    Or maybe not, I didn't dive into macro functions yet.
  • antixantix Member
    These things can be done in macros but that still isn't as fast as some native code is it?
  • I had the same issues and I remember it was indeed a QT5 issue, I ended up getting it to work for Android using an old version of Gideros then I gave up and switched to bump.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook