Quick Links: Gideros Home | Download Gideros | Developer Guide
Play testers wanted!
  • totebototebo +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    Hi,

I'm looking for play testers for my new real-time multiplayer racing game I'm making in Gideros. Please PM me if you have an Android or iOS device and fancy giving it a go!

Cheers,

Niclas

ps. A web version is up here, if you want to try it out in a browser: nobrakes.io

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • keszegh +1 -1
    cool game. are the online opponents appearing bots?
  • totebototebo +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Cheers! The opponents are real players or bots, depending on if people are playing. Real players always have priority, and will kick bots out in the queue.

• pie +1 -1
    cool! how do you manage multiplayer?
    It's a custom server and plugin for Gideros using binary data. On the web it runs over websocket, we use JSON there because binary is not supported.

• Nice Game @tobedo
    That is to say in a same race can exist a player with its iPhone and another one with Android

And with respect to your AI, its operation is based on trying to follow the shortest path or hinder the most experienced player or other type of criterion
    Thanks! Yeah it took a bit of work, but now web, iOS and Android players can play in the same "universe".

The bots are following my skillful manoeuvres; it's a ghost recording. It works, because I allow the bots to be pushed around and they follow the recording more as a guide, catching up when they can to synch them across devices.

• totebototebo +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    No Brakes io is now in public beta on Android. Would be great if you could check it out!
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.totebo.nobrakesio

Also available as HTML5 here:
    http://www.totebo.com/no-brakes-io/
  • i tried html briefly, looks pretty cool. when those stars or what fly from the middle to the top right they could fly a bit more irregularly (or along a spiral etc. more complicated shape), now they form a long straight line which looks a bit strange.
  • Thanks @keszegh, that would be cool!
  • I tried html and it worked great (Chrome). I'll give it a shot on a couple android phones (HTC, blu R1 HD)

It's pretty fun and challenging. Some notes:

1. Instant death:
    One negative/frustration is that sometimes rockets/bombs spin you around so you hit the edge and instantly lose. I can see the edge slowing you down (or you bounce off the edge losing speed). I think edge=death worked great for the single player game (only you the player is to blame), but quickly gets frustrating (not fun) when it is practically unavoidable in multiplayer.

I could see that as a game style (e.g. instant death/classic/hardcore) but would like to see more friendly style given multiple people are playing, and it is a new app.

2. Tapping the chest to get your free stars:
    A. Sometimes the first couple taps do nothing
    B. Have the stars fly up from their various location in the chest so it's more of a beam instead of straight line. Vary slightly the duration/start time of each star's movement.

3. Assisted movement? Twice, when I come to the last checkpoint, my character seems to speed up and turn slightly without me touching the phone. Maybe I imagined it.. Will keep playing.
    Hey @EricCarr, thanks for playing and for the feedback! I played around a lot with keeping playing after you crash. The problem then is that you end up bouncing off walls and it's hard to get back on track. So you have to add energy, which complicates things. Have it as a game mode is a good idea!

The last checkpoint movement thing is weird, haven't seen that before! Let us know if it happens again.

• Cool game. I play for 5 mins now and it looks nice. I like it because it is smooth and you have done a really good job on the colors, menus and transitions. I can not find anything that could be changed right now except that I crash all the time. Hehe. I will keep playing and let you know if there is anything I do not like. For now awesome job sir.
  • Hi @totebo,

Ya, I figured you did a lot of experimenting with the crashing before the public beta. :) The only thing I can think of that may work is if the cars slides along the wall reducing speed over time instead of bouncing off of it.
  • I tried No Brakes (web version) several times and made several races: it's really neat and fun.
    Congratz @totebo!
    (Do you have a twitter account so I could RT you?)
    Thanks @atavismus! I've just resurrected the Twitter account @nobrakesgame, just for you. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Top Posters