Quick Links: Gideros Home | Download Gideros | Developer Guide
Particles texturepack feature request
  • pie +1 -1
    Hi, I read a post about particle candy where @SinisterSoft was asking for new features that could improve built in Particles: I'm starting a new thread to keep things tidy :)

I think it would be a great improvement if Particles could handle texturepacks: I have not tried on latest release yet (2017.4.1), but it seems that the only way to set a particle texture is to use a "single" texture
    Particles:setTexture(Texture.new("image.png"))

It would be cool if Particles could read texturepacks too, and following this I can think of at least 2 big improvements in terms of achievable particles effects:
    1) cast particle choosing a random texture from the texturepack (or from a provided list of images inside the texturepack)
    2) make animated texture on particles (maybe we could use movieclips? )

What do you think? I don't know how complex this would be, and if this would be a performance killer, but it would open some new possibilities
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    I think that a way of animating a texture of a certain size though animations in a texture might be better - faster to process?

EG, we know the particle size, if the texture is larger then I assume it will draw from 0,0 to the size of the particle. So a second frame could be the next square to the left, and so on down the texture.
    f then could cycle from startFrame to endFrame, at frameSpeed ?
    with frameSpeed=0 for no animation

• pie +1 -1
    I like your idea a lot.
    I don't know the passages behind that, but the ability to choose which frames to pick from the texturepack would allow to load a single texturepack with all particles and animations (merge all particles textures instead of loading a texturepack for each particle)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Top Posters