Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Reference Manual PDF Book? — Gideros Forum

Gideros Reference Manual PDF Book?

GiderosFanGiderosFan Member
edited February 2017 in General questions
Hey Giderians, how can I get the Gideros Reference Manual in PDF file or buy the book from Lulu?

Payment would be no problem if I can get anything :-)

Comments

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited February 2017
    I have suggested this to @John26 - I think this is a great idea and would encourage more people to use Gideros.

Amazon also do self publishing and would be an alternative to Lulu.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Right I talked the last days with a friend he told me about App Game Kit 2... how easy this is etc... I told him about the Gideros and Lua language he said yes... I see this on Youtube on a video but there is no book or video tutorials for beginners that's the reason why I used AGK. I must agree them. The only book for Gideros is the nice starting guide for ar2rsawseen. But I can't understand why a pro user here don't make an video and sell this on platforms like udemy.com. There are so many CoronaSDK, Unity, Unreal, Construct etc... videos but no learning videos for Gideros. An how to video would be so nice. How to inapp. How to basic movement... how to share.. how to make them mobile ready for example.. build an easy pop the balloons with Gideros on mobile as game with inapp purchasing (store) with ads etc... I think that would encourage more people too and would show what an nice easy to use fantastic game development framework Gideros is.

• maybe videos are essential for some people, especially for beginners. but as you say, beginners can read the nice book of ar2rsawseen at least.
    also there ARE videos covering many basic things (although not the things you asked for), see here:
    http://giderosmobile.com/guide

for not so beginners, i find that the extensive collection of example code that comes with gideros and the good online reference guide is a perfect combination to learn gideros, or at least it was for me. for things not covered by these, one can ask on the forum anything.
  • Okay thats true the guide's tutorial cover a lot but for beginners I think it's difficult to handle thinks like leaderboards / Game Center integration native sharing. And yes books are nice but some people learn more from see what you can do instead of reading. It would be so nice if there would be an for example paid option where anyone explain how you can ... integrate your leaderboard just an little example for iOS and android too. Gideros shipped with nice examples that is true but the most of this examples are more for advanced users instead of the beginners.
  • I have thought about writing a book myself but I was always unable to decide if I would base it around a single game, or multiple games. I'd be into making video tutorials also but I can't afford a decent sound/light setup (which are required to make anything that people will actually watch).

There are many reasons why people would choose another engine over Gideros and Gideros will continue to lose traction day in and day out until those are acknowledged and resolved. Unfortunately the team of maintainers is very small versus other teams like Corona who have plenty of resources to throw at such things :(

Gideros in my mind is still the best 2d game engine available, with so many fantastic features that other engines just don't have. If only some mysterious benefactor would throw some money at it's development and upkeep it would really take flight.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • We need things like books to get more people using it - books can be given as presents, etc...

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Maybe I'll write a book then :D
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • GiderosFanGiderosFan Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes thats true books can be given as presents but the most people don't read today :) they like to see an video. An quick and easy to understand video. As extension a book yes but for quick information they won't read so much.

For beginners the best would be in my opinion video tutorials how to make / inapp, Sharing how to use some libaries... how to use the unity ads plugin here for your app etc... and a quick guide to use the IDE ;). So and then as extension an book. And yes antix gideros is at the moment the best game framework for 2D Multiplatform games but the problem is here the missing resources in my opinion. I think some other people not just me would pay for some learning resources too. Take a look at the old App game kit. They make yet tutorial videos and boom they have much more members. Youtube is an nice platform to promote this nice framework. The last entry from gideros I have found 3 month ago. The most people don't know that gideros exists :). I personally would be so happy if there would be more information about fundamental subjects (all what every game needed)

Why not for example an page like this:

http://www.fusionrad.com/onlinecourses/

just for gideros. You can pay and then an advanced member show how you can make this and this and this.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    I keep meaning to create a new version of the Reference Manual but not getting round to it! I need to update it considerably since the one that was a Kickstarter reward back in 2014. Since then Gideros has evolved considerably and we need a section on shaders also I think.

Thanks for the encouragement, let me get on and do it!
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook