Quick Links: Gideros Home | Download Gideros | Developer Guide
Gideros 2016.12 released!
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft +1 -1 (+16 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    We are pleased to announce the release of Gideros 2016.12.

The biggest new improvements in this release are to the export system. Being able to make exports easier is currently our highest priority. See: http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6800/direct-apk-export

Important note: Not tested on AppleTV or Windows RT/UWP.

If you export to these platforms then please confirm all ok on this thread.

I will test on AppleTV as soon as I can, but my version of xcode was not up to date enough to play on the latest version of TVOS - I'm downloading it now though!

With some of the main team members unavailable over Christmas, we thought that it would be best to release this now - possible bugs and all. If you find any issues then we can fix them in a 2016.12.1 release after the holiday period. :)

NEW

• Beginnings of XML test code for Microsoft Ads (Windows RT/UWP)
    • Requires plugin: This specifies requirements for the manifest and other slight adjustments
    • Lua <-> XML bridge for plugin system with ios export lib in Lua
    • Plugin system download third party libs automatically (cached)
    • Full orientation option for apps that are both portrait and landscape
    • App Name in project properties so it can be different than the project name

IMPROVEMENTS

• Camera plugin: Added mandatory option
    • Camera plugin: Added usage description (ios)
    • Gaming plugin: Updated to latest Google and Amazon libs
    • IAB plugin: Updated to latest Google and Amazon libs and helpers
    • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Admob (untested), AppLovin and Chartboost for Ads plugin
    • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Google Play and Amazon Game Circle for Gaming plugin
    • Added information to Android manifest for Android and Fire TV compatibility
    • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Google and Amazon payment systems for IAB plugin
    • No encryption if not required
    • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Flurry plugin
    • Apk and Android Studio export: Now fully exports Controller plugin
    • Android apps will now prefer to be installed on external memory (Google and Amazon preferred method)
    • Permission to write to external storage now only asked for if player

BUGFIXES

• AppLovin ads plugin: needed onRefresh()
    • Particle init time reference wasn't set to zero on init
    • Renamed TV icon to TV Banner
    • Fixed studio crash if you tinkered with plugin settings too much
    • Fixed lua context issues
    • Fixed iab crash due to nil string
    • Icon, splash and banner images were not being compressed
    • Bitcode was being exported for ios simulator libs
    • Fixed MovieClip reference holding
    • Fixed typo in facebook plugin

Merry Christmas!
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft +1 -1 (+6 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    I forgot to mention that @hgy29 has spent a lot (most?) of his time over the couple of months getting the plugin system ready, making new plugin scripts, etc - I'm sure he would appreciate people sending him thanks. His work has made Gideros much better and easier to use.
  • hgy29hgy29 +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    Here is the current status of plugins in this release (attached picture).
    Green cells are plugins that are automatically exportable (without user changing files), red ones are plugins still requiring manual intervention.
    We focused on Android/APK at first, iOS will be next.
    2016-12-19_09-34-43.png
    1426 x 1728 - 72K
  • Permission to write to external storage now only asked for if player.
    is it safe to remove this permission for all API levels?
  • hgy29hgy29 +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Maintainer

I forgot to mention that @hgy29 has spent a lot (most?) of his time over the couple of months getting the plugin system ready, making new plugin scripts, etc - I'm sure he would appreciate people sending him thanks. His work has made Gideros much better and easier to use.

Thanks @SinisterSoft, but you forgot to mention that you also spent a lot of time testing those plugins and actually writing/fixing some of those plugin scripts yourself. A lot of useful plugins wouldn't be ready now if you hadn't been there too.

• @hgy29 - np :)

@Xman - It shouldn't be. Unless you store files externally? If you can test on an older device and let us know, if it is a problem then we can sort it out with a patch or something.
  • There is a slight problem with AppleTV export. @hgy29 has already fixed it. If you export to apple TV then download this file:

http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/libgideros-atv.zip

Then go to the GiderosStudio application, right click and open the contents. Copy that file over the one at:

Templates/Xcode4/iOS Template/AppleTV

Then AppleTV should export to xcode ok. Tested with the latest XCode.
  • talistalis +1 -1 (+6 / -0 )
    Guru
    I personally again appreciating all the people who are involved in this release of Gideros..
    I just want to remind all the Gideros users as a normal Gideran, if you are using Gideros as a commercial product and earning money by using it, to receive better updates, to supply motivation just don't think and donate. The team really deserves it in my eyes.
    If you are just experimenting gideros for teaching, fun or personal usage please try to be active on forums, help new comers, spread the word.
    Even donation is not a mandatory thing all the job that is done so far far more deserves it.

• thanks for the release to all of you.
  • @hgy29 - np :)

@Xman - It shouldn't be. Unless you store files externally? If you can test on an older device and let us know, if it is a problem then we can sort it out with a patch or something.

But isn't this permission granted automatically for API
    Above 18.For API lower than 19 it still requires if I don't misunderstand the official doc.
    I do not get a old device to test this.

• tytadastytadas +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    talis said:

I personally again appreciating all the people who are involved in this release of Gideros..
    I just want to remind all the Gideros users as a normal Gideran, if you are using Gideros as a commercial product and earning money by using it, to receive better updates, to supply motivation just don't think and donate. The team really deserves it in my eyes.
    If you are just experimenting gideros for teaching, fun or personal usage please try to be active on forums, help new comers, spread the word.
    Even donation is not a mandatory thing all the job that is done so far far more deserves it.

@talis yea man your right. Half of new things and releases i dont even understand, but I have in my mind about every stuff they adding.

Thanks to Gideros team! I will donate ASAP!
  • it does not relate exactly to this release but i see a lot of spam-like developers here:
    http://giderosmobile.com/profiles
  • @Xman Most apps don't need to access external files to the area that the app has - it's walled garden. So they should be ok. The player does need access to external files to the app because the player keeps it's files there - they are redirected for the player. That is why when you make a player and then press the screen, you will see the other apps you have also made and you can quickly play them.

So, if it's not needed then by requesting it you will put some people off installing your app because they don't know why it wants to access files outside of your apps 'space'.
  • OK, thanks for your explanation. I just want to confirm that data saved in |D| dir will not effected by this.
    Oh Yes, exported app save file to internal dir returned by getFilesDir, no additional permission is required.
  • It should be ok. Ideally someone here can test though and let us know for sure. Currently 99.9% sure it should be ok.
  • exported splash size is not as expected from 2016.10
    Generating splash horizontal (320x200)
    Generating splash horizontal (480x320)
    Generating splash horizontal (800x480)
    Generating splash horizontal (1280x720)
    Generating splash horizontal (1600x960)
    Generating splash horizontal (1920x1280)

All splash is square like 1920x1920 ...

Even if this is intended for all orientations, the cropped images should be center aligned.
  • Is this for Android export? I seem to have the right sizes, but you are right about them not being centered for some reason (tested landscape export).
  • Yes for Android.
    Maybe it's due to my original image is a big square image,
    but the logo at the center of the image should be still at the center for each size after export.

• I used a 1920x1080 for the landscape splash and 1080x1920 for the portrait splash.

I did notice that when I first load them in properties they seem ok, but if I go back to properties, the images there look smaller than they were when I first loaded them.

@hgy29 may know more why?
  • in the latest 2016.10 release,It seems no problem for export splash
  • I just tried apk export for the first time using Gideros 2016.12 on Mac OS.

On export I don't see any plugins for Chartboost or AppLovin so do I have to download them and point Gideros at them or something?

Also I was using Android Studio before to build apk's so not sure I have an actual JDK directory or even Android SDK directory now as Android Studio is an singular app in Applications on Mac.

Key Store is OK as I have that of course :)

I think I am missing something big time or maybe I need to use the Windows version of Gideros with older Eclipse setup that had JDK and SDK dirs etc?

A bit confused TBH.
  • hgy29hgy29 +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    @MobAmuse,

You should see a plugin for 'Ads' in the plugin list, Chartboost and Applovin are enabled within Ads framework through tickboxes.

APK export uses Android Studio tooling, and Android Studio itself needs Java and Android SDK, although it download/manages them for you. Either find Android SDK and Java locations within your Android Studio installation, or install them separately.
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    @MobAmuse Also don't forget that on the mac, an app is really just a folder with a .app extension.

• On mac os...

Hmmmm OK after I checked a bit further with your help I still don't see a plugin for 'Ads' in the plugin list i.e. the list is empty?

I can build the apk (update: output not an apk however - see more below) now but there are no charboost or applovin libs in it of course because of this.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 1.53.26 pm copy.png
    1209 x 736 - 88K
    Maintainer
    I know what it is. John didn't sign it - so gatekeeper is running it from the wrong location. Hold on...

• I now see 'Ads' so ticked those :)

I have SDK path set on my mac as /Users/Age/Library/Android/sdk

and have JDK path set as /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_71.jdk

I build the apk with my keystore as expected, but it spits out a directory in the name of the project that contains a directory called 'tmp' with a load of stuff in it ...not an .apk as expected.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 2.51.43 pm copy.png
    1161 x 925 - 126K
  • Output...
    Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 3.06.26 pm.png
    653 x 177 - 17K
  • I've got to go now so will try again 2moz.

Thanks.
  • hgy29hgy29 +1 -1
    Maintainer
    Looks like export process failed... could you post here the content of your export log window ?
  • I'm not near the build machine now but will do in morning.

Thanks.
    Maintainer
    I have the same problem on the Mac. I've sent @hgy29 my log file.

• Would it be necessary to generate the launcher icon into the mipmap folder instead of the drawable just as the android studio new -> image asset menu do.
    The size of the launcher icon will be more consistent with the built-in app.

if not just do not generate a default icon in the drawable folder if no image is provided.

• @hgy29 & @SinisterSoft OK thanks. Yes there appears to be a problem with the apk export on mac at least then. I won't supply my export log then from my other machine if you have already sent one for further inspection unless asked.

Thanks.
  • @XMan There will be a patch zip sometime very soon that fixes the launcher/splash image issue. The new image is centered properly with the aspect ratio remaining the same as either the vertical or horizontal image. The edges on either the left/right or top/bottom will be transparent if they need to be in order to keep the aspect ratio the same - so no part of the image is lost. That is what the background colour is used for. I have tested the new patch already and it fixes it for me (I tested both a portrait and a landscape game).

There may be a couple of slight adjustments to the patch, I fixed an issue with the game name on Android (we had recently added the ability to have the game name different than the folder name - see properties). Plus if @hgy29 can figure out what is wrong with the OSX exporting APK files then that could also be in the patch.
  • I think it would be better to have an option to turn off export splash and icon even if images are provided.
    it's not necessary to export all this each time when just export assets.
  • Maybe not export them if assets only mode? Only on player and full?
  • It would be better If it could be controlled independently.
    Maintainer
    @hgy29 has made the patches now, they fix a few things and also bring in some improvements.

Fixed: Centered splash images, app name wasn't exported properly, mac could create apk

Improved: now paths to jre and sdk are optional, keep them blank for 'auto' mode - you need Android Studio installed.

http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/Templates-Gideros-2016.12a.zip

http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/Windows-Gideros-2016.12a.zip

http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/MacOS-Gideros-2016.12a.zip

If you are on Windows, then get the first file and copy the contents over the contents of the templates folder, then get the 2nd file and replace the old files with the ones that it contains.

If you are on OSX, then get the first file, go to you Applications folder and right-click the Gideros Studio app, show the contents, in there you will find a Templates folder, copy over the files with the files in the file! Then do the same with the 3rd file above.

Don't forget that these are replacement files for some of those you have already - you should not delete anything, just overwrite what needs to be replaced.

• I did all that to the word and also used the Christmas helper info but it still spits out a tmp dir as before, not an .apk

I have the latest updated version of Android Studio (2.2.3) on Mac.

I tried apk export using the above with Bird Animation but it still does not produce an .apk just a dir with stuff in it using the same process.

I tried the same again without any plugins and still got the the same result.

I merged all the patch files into their correct destinations on mac. I did this 3 times from scratch to be sure I did it all right but it no worky for me after 3 attempts this morning.

My log file attached or Bird Animation (no plugins used) test...

---

Ask: local.keyStorePass -> *******
    Set: local.noSigning -> //
    Set: local.isUnsigned -> -unsigned
    Replaced local.keyStorePass by ******* @7
    Replaced neq:*******: by 1 @0
    If: 1
    Replaced local.keyStorePass by ******* @0
    Ask: local.keyAliasPass -> *******
    Set: local.noSigning ->
    Set: local.isUnsigned ->
    RmDir: tmp
    MkDir: tmp
    Cd: tmp
    Replaced project.autorotation by 0 @0
    If: 0
    Replaced project.autorotation by 0 @7
    Replaced not:0 by 1 @0
    Set: local.orientation -> portrait
    Replaced project.orientation by 1 @6
    Replaced eq:1:1 by 1 @0
    Set: local.orientation -> landscape
    Replaced eq:1:2 by 0 @0
    Replaced eq:1:3 by 0 @0
    Set: local.showSplash -> true
    Replaced project.disableSplash by 1 @6
    Replaced eq:1:1 by 1 @0
    Set: local.showSplash -> false
    Replaced sys.giderosDir by /Projects/New/Gideros Studio/Gideros Studio.app/Contents @0
    Replaced project.namews by BirdAnimation @0
    Replaced project.name by Bird Animation @0
    Replaced project.app_name by BirdAnim @0
    Replaced export.packageName by com.mobileamusements.BirdAnim @0
    Replaced export.androidTarget by 22 @26
    Replaced project.version_code by 1 @21
    Replaced project.version by 1.0 @21
    Replaced local.orientation by landscape @27
    Replaced local.showSplash by false @21
    Replaced project.backgroundColor by #00ff00 @18
    Replaced export.androidSdk by 24 @18
    Replaced export.androidTools by 23.0.2 @19
    Replaced export.androidTarget by 22 @17
    Replaced export.keyStore by /Users/Age/StudioProjects/MyKeyStore @0
    Replaced export.keyAlias by mobamusealias @0
    Replaced local.keyStorePass by ******* @0
    Replaced local.keyAliasPass by ******* @0
    Replaced local.noSigning by @0
    Replaced local.noSigning by @0
    Template: Android Template from [/Projects/New/Gideros Studio/Gideros Studio.app/Contents/Templates/AndroidStudio/Android Template] to []
    Processing template
    Copying /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/.DS_Store
    Copying /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/.DS_Store
    Copying /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/.DS_Store
    Copying /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/.DS_Store
    Updating /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/jniLibs/armeabi/libgideros.so
    Updated:2 replacements
    Updating /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/jniLibs/armeabi-v7a/libgideros.so
    Updating /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/jniLibs/x86/libgideros.so
    Replaced sys.exporType by @6
    Replaced eq::player by 0 @0
    MkDir: app/src/main/assets/assets
    Cd: app/src/main/assets/assets
    Exporting assets
    Exporting sky_world.png
    Exporting bird_white_03.png
    Exporting bird_white_02.png
    Exporting bird_white_01.png
    Exporting bird_black_03.png
    Exporting bird_black_02.png
    Exporting bird_black_01.png
    Exporting bird.lua
    Exporting main.lua
    Encrypting assets
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/sky_world.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_white_03.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_white_02.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_white_01.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_black_03.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_black_02.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird_black_01.png [png]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/bird.lua.jet [lua]
    Encrypting /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp/app/src/main/assets/assets/main.lua.jet [lua]
    Writing files info
    Writing lua files info
    Writing project properties
    Cd: ../../../../..
    Image(Type 1): 36x36 app/src/main/res/drawable-ldpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (36x36)
    Image(Type 1): 48x48 app/src/main/res/drawable-mdpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (48x48)
    Image(Type 1): 72x72 app/src/main/res/drawable-hdpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (72x72)
    Image(Type 1): 96x96 app/src/main/res/drawable-xhdpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (96x96)
    Image(Type 1): 96x96 app/src/main/res/drawable/icon.png
    Generating app icon (96x96)
    Image(Type 1): 144x144 app/src/main/res/drawable-xxhdpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (144x144)
    Image(Type 1): 192x192 app/src/main/res/drawable-xxxhdpi/icon.png
    Generating app icon (192x192)
    Image(Type 2): 732x412 app/src/main/res/drawable-xhdpi/ouya_icon.png
    Image(Type 2): 320x180 app/src/main/res/drawable/banner.png
    Replaced project.orientation by 1 @15
    Replaced band:1:1 by 1 @7
    Replaced not:1 by 0 @0
    Replaced project.orientation by 1 @8
    Replaced band:1:1 by 1 @0
    Image(Type 4): 320x200 app/src/main/res/drawable-ldpi/splash.png
    Image(Type 4): 480x320 app/src/main/res/drawable-mdpi/splash.png
    Image(Type 4): 800x480 app/src/main/res/drawable-hdpi/splash.png
    Image(Type 4): 1280x720 app/src/main/res/drawable-xhdpi/splash.png
    Image(Type 4): 1600x960 app/src/main/res/drawable-xxhdpi/splash.png
    Image(Type 4): 1920x1280 app/src/main/res/drawable-xxxhdpi/splash.png
    Applying plugins
    Set: local.gradleCmd -> gradlew
    Replaced sys.exeExtension by @6
    Replaced eq::.exe by 0 @0
    Replaced local.gradleCmd by gradlew @4
    Replaced export.javaPath by @0
    Replaced export.androidPath by @0
    Exec: gradlew assembleRelease into /Temp/Bird Animation/tmp
    Exec returned: 255
    Export done.
  • If I select 'Ads' I never see any actual ad libs exported in the exported dir either for the record.
  • It looks like the gradlew is not an executable? Check in the tmp folder, does the gradlew file have a terminal icon?
  • Oddly enough this version of gideros with the patches does not even export a gradle in the tmp dir for the Bird Animation test. All I get is the assets and the jniLibs. No gradle, no manifest etc. I guess the export must still break then for some reason.
  • No worries I will wait until new year now and the next version perhaps that may fix this feature.
  • I have tested my Halloween Mania game and it have problems when MovieClip is removed from scene. It works ok in Gideros 2016.10

I have this code

Explosion = Core.class(Sprite)

function Explosion.setup()
    local textures = GameScene.texture_explosions

Explosion.images = {
    Bitmap.new(textures[1]),
    Bitmap.new(textures[2]),
    Bitmap.new(textures[3])
    }
    end

-- Constructor
    function Explosion:init()

local animation = MovieClip.new{
    {1, 2, Explosion.images[1]},
    {2, 4, Explosion.images[2]},
    {4, 6, Explosion.images[3]},
    {6, 8, Explosion.images[1]},
    {8, 10, Explosion.images[2]}
    }
    --animation:setGotoAction(30,1)
    self:addChild(animation)
    animation:play()
    self.animation = animation

animation:addEventListener("complete", self.onMovieComplete,self)

end

function Explosion:onMovieComplete()

local animation = self.animation
    if (animation and self:contains(animation)) then
    self:removeChild(animation)
    print("exploxion removed")
    end
    end

but some Bitmap frames remain in scene. It seems that self:removeChild(animation) does not work.

• john26john26 +1 -1 (+7 / -0 )
    Maintainer
    Dear all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! Thanks for developing with Gideros in 2016, more to come in 2017! Thanks all for your kind donations which help pay for the web hosting and new equipment needed.

I'm spending Christmas in a remote area of Scotland away from my Mac but will be able to build a bug fix version on my return on 31 December!
    Maintainer
    31st today... Hopefully @John26 will see this and make the build before midnight...

• Xman +1 -1
    I prefer the launcher splash exported by the preview release.
    It's much more reasonable by cropping to fit the aspect ratio of the screen, one large image can fit for both orientations. to fit the aspect ratio of the original image is meanless.
    It's very strange to leave a black edge since the background color is not working.
  • Xman +1 -1
    However, the background color in the source code on the GitHub work well.
    Then it's acceptable to setting two different images to get almost the same result.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Top Posters