Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
FAST FOOD RAMPAGE: Out now on iOS and Android — Gideros Forum

FAST FOOD RAMPAGE: Out now on iOS and Android

Try it out here: https://tosto.re/fastfoodrampage

Thanks for all the help with this project guys (even if you didn't know what it was for)! Especially @antix, @sinistersoft, @hgy29, @n1cke, @ar2rsawseen and everyone else on the forums.
icon_1024x1024.png
1024 x 1024 - 120K
My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+9 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Downloaded, played and reviewed! I love the theme you choosed :)

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Amazing game! Congratulations! :)>-

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    edited December 2016
    Finally! Very cool man, well done. I found the controls a little sticky but that might be because I've been playing with my own twin stick game a lot recently. I'll have another play this afternoon. Glad to have been able to be of help also ;)

Congrats again! Great stuff!

P.S, the credits screen is very cool :D
  • another good looking game from you, i like the graphics and animations. the gameplay is pretty standard and not my genre, still i enjoyed it for a couple of minutes just because of the theme (the clown reminds me of day of the tentacle and of dropsy).

a friend of mine noted that for him the virtual joystick is not sensitive enough, the hero does not turn as one would expect/want. maybe you want to fine-tune it further.

all in all, grats.

• So it's not just me that thinks the joystick needs tweaking :D

I also think the enemies and the clown should have shadows, like the bullets do ;)
  • I think the on-screen joystick should move around.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Thanks guys! The joysticks did move around, but in the end we made them fixed. I think the main reason was that you dragged outside the screen area too easily. We tweaked them a lot early in development. The double tap to throw a milkshake requires a short pause before you move, so you don't change direction as you throw. Multi-controls on a touch screen are tricky!
  • Oh, and shadows on ground based things were on the list but didn't make the final build because of timings. :(

• I have been thinking about the joypads in Exetor and I'm going to also have them fixed position but then I will include an option to also specify the position for each stick.

In FFR I just dunno. Sometimes I'm trying to move about and the clown stutters or doesn't move correctly. I haven't tried it on any device other than my Pixel-C

Ahh I never throw milkshake bombs since I always seem to somehow shoot them when it's not wanted heheh.

Pity about the shadows, that would add that extra dimension to the game :)
  • @totebo - did shadows slow things down?
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • I don't think "timings" meant slowdown as I would expect with the retro pixel look for the shadows to just be drawn in each sprite frame.
  • Thanks for the feedback @antix, going to try to tweak them so they feel more natural for the first "non bug fix only" update.

Adding shadows programmatically would probably be ok on most modern devices (they're pooled). But we planned to actually include them in the enemy graphics themselves, to save CPU on older devices.
  • Re shadows, you could draw them programmatically outside of Gideros, with a table adjusting the anchor points generated. So within Gideros they are still part of the image.
  • WHAT?! You have to stop the habit of blowing my mind, @anthony. What do you MEAN "outside Gideros"?

• Just code something outside of Gideros that goes through each sprite image, makes a mask, draws that mask slanted and transparent, then draws the normal image on top.
    The image will be slightly taller and wider, you then measure by how much and add this offset into a table and save the image. Once done, save the table.

Now add all the images to a sprite sheet and use the offset table to add to the x,y of the when you draw it.

You could do the same in Lua I suppose within Gideros either using a rendertarget spritesheet.

I have loads of draw time in SinisterSoccer (football game), so I just render a mask that has a skew to it - if you have the frame rate then you could do the same?
  • You lost me at "Just code something outside of Gideros". The plot thickens.
  • In theory you could do this in Gideros and then save the images that you generate.

Oh I tried FFR on my Nexus4 and the controls don't stutter so it seems (for me at least) that the stuttering issue only happens on my Pixel C.
  • It shouldn't stutter on a Pixel C...
  • Oh, now I get what you meant Sinister! Yeah, could do it that way to get some shadows in there.
  • @antix, intriguing! Is it a FPS issue then on the Pixel C? So many devices to test on nowadays!
  • No way, the Pixel C eats frames for breakfast :D
    It's the controls that seem to not work correctly. I can be moving about and suddenly its like the character gets stuck (but they are not). Like I said it's only on Pixel C that I see this.

• Hey I also found a little bug today. I died but somehow I must have collected a heart at the same time (or something). Anyway the game went into game over mode but I was invisible and the game kept on running (although it said game over). I was able to keep playing until I died a second time and then was able to exit to the main menu.
  • Thanks @antix! Great bug report.

• Yay! Your game in "New Game We Love", USA store! Congratulation!
    Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 4.11.39 PM.png
    3088 x 1162 - 1M

Coming soon
  • Thanks!