Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Best way to fill OverScan — Gideros Forum

Best way to fill OverScan

antixantix Member
edited July 2016 in General questions
Hey all. I have been playing with different scaling modes and quite often there is space around the actual content that is blank. I have figured out how to get the dimensions of the space that needs filling but I'm not sure which is the best method to actually fill it. The three methods I have thought of are..

1. Create a 1x1 pixel bitmap and scale it to fill the space.
2. Create a mesh and fill it with the desired color.
3. Create a shape filled with the desired color.

So I am wondering which method is best. Is it a case of one being vastly superior to the others? Currently I'm using method 1 because it is by far the easiest to implement. What do you all use?

One thing that springs to mind while I think of this is the fantastic Copper co-processor from Amiga days. Making horizontal color splits down the screen was so easy. Having something like that in Gideros would be great.

Comments

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited July 2016
    1, a 1x1 pixel sprite, you can define the colour - no source texture so very fast.

I don't know if it will be faster to define the size as the screen size or as a 1x1 and scale it to the screen size.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • piepie Member
    @antix why not just use application:setBackgroundColor(color) ?

• antixantix Member
    edited July 2016
    @SinisterSoft, ahh yes the 4th option would be this. I haven't even looked at the features from the latest release yet :)

The bitmap method is good because I just make a 1 pixel bitmap from the top left of the atlas for the top bit and another bitmap using the pixel from the bottom right of the atlas. This gives the correct color for each horizontal slice.

Pixel will be cool but then I would have to save more information in my parallax files.

I suppose I could draw the pixel to a RenderTarget and then get the pixel color to use for the pixel object but then the code gets larger, hmm.

@pie, if the top area and bottom areas are different colors then that wouldn't work. See attached picture where content is inside the red rectangle and outside is OverScan area and the top and bottom areas need to be different colors :)
    overscan.png
    1382 x 828 - 136K