Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Debug output in Android Studio — Gideros Forum

Debug output in Android Studio

antixantix Member
edited July 2016 in General questions
In my game I have a bunch of print statements to show information. In the windows player this is fine and in ZBStudio I can see the printed information.

In Android Studio I can't get this to work. I have my device connected via USB with USB Debugging enabled. On the device in Developer Options I have set the game as the app to debug.

When I debug from Android Studio I don't see my printed information. Does anybody know how to make this work?

Comments

• simwhisimwhi Member
    @antix I recall reading somewhere on the forum quite some time ago that this is not possible. I tried searching, but I couldn't find the thread.

I always debug using a custom player with all the plugins that I need already set up. This works great for me.
  • antixantix Member
    edited July 2016
    @simwhi, that sounds good. So when you are using the custom player.. how does it work with google play services? Does it manage to even login if it's not a signed APK?

For now I have used my LogWindow class and that's allowing me to just dump endless debug text directly onto the stage in-game.

Are there any tutorials on creating a player with integrated plugins?
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    @antix.

The best and easiest way is to:
    1) create a signed custom player with everything your game requires, but without any assets.
    2) Upload it to google alpha/beta. This may take a few hours before it is available.
    3) Install the custom player on your device.
    4) To test IAB the APK on your device must match the version uploaded to alpha/beta.
    5) Make sure that you login as a different user on your device as you cannot use your developer login to test IAB. I set up dummy gmail account for testing.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    @simwhi thanks, it sounds like a lot of work for little benefit (for me at least). I'll keep on testing directly to my device from Android Studio and also work on fine tuning my LogWindow class for debug text dumping.
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    @antix

I always use a customer player for on device testing. I usually add the plugins one at a time to make sure they are installed correctly.

For IAB, you can get the product description and price, but you can only make a purchase on an APK that matches the version uploaded. I'm not sure if it needs to be signed (probably does). I always sign mine anyway.

I've used a log window too in the past, but I find print much easier and quicker.

If I'm working on a new project and want to test it on a device I use a customer player that I built for a previous project. This is quick and easy, but IAB is an exception.

Unfortunately, there are no complete tutorial guides other than the information supplied with each plugin.
  • antixantix Member
    @simwhi thanks. I've worked on my LogWindow and just updated its thread. It's pretty easy, you just make a new LogWindow, add it to the stage, and then append text to it.

Now that I have Android Studio compiling faster its not such a pain to debug on the device.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook