Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
html5 javascript engine — Gideros Forum

html5 javascript engine

ptkaisenptkaisen Member
edited May 2016 in General questions
Hello.

Great news the html5 export.

I would like to know what is the JavaScript engine used in the export?

And can you tell me if is possible to take this Html5 and use Intel Xdk or other similar software to package a Linux app?

Gideros do not offer Linux export options but may be we can wrap the html5 and make a Linux app?

Any help will be appreciated

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hi @ptkaisen,

Html5 export uses emscripten to convert gideros c++ code to asm.js. On browser side, it relies mainly on WebGL, web audio and indexeddb for storage.

then i think it will work with Intel XDK
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Btw gideros actually runs on Linux (raspberry pi version is Linux), but how shall we distribute it since there are so many Linux distros to handle ?
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    Yes, Gideros runs on Linux and you can compile it yourself using these instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22arh2pxgif3d60/buildGiderosLinux.txt?dl=0

However, I have a plan to distribute Gideros officially for Linux as a binary. And also add a Linux export target alongside the other desktop export targets. How many people would be interested in this? Is Linux an OS where you can make money?

Note the new Linux target would not support OS-specific stuff like ads straight away. It would have only the standard plugins like controller, microphone, luasocket etc. No ad, IAP or social media at first. (and adding them would be a significant challenge)

• ptkaisenptkaisen Member
    edited May 2016
    I am not totally sure if we can make money in Linux but I think that Linux has to be included as an export option.

Many Linux games are being added to steam and some of them are pay games or have microtransactions.

There are other options like Desura and other digital platforms, many of them have Linux games.

May be IAP in Linux will be very hard to implement but I think we can do it using HTML5 IAP and wrapping the app to make a linux app ... Not sure about it.

I am not an experienced developer, I am just trying to publish my first game and I want to target as many platforms as I can. Right now I just want to publish a free game, including as many HTML5 stores as possible and include all desktops OS's including Linux.

Thanks for this great software, Gideros Studio
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    i think linux export would be good, for desktop games (steam, etc stores) and apps mainly, so iap and ads are probably not that important to waste time on them.
  • ptkaisenptkaisen Member
    edited May 2016
    Yes,

IAP os more important for mobile apps. Desktop apps can live without IAPs

Dont need to waste time adding IAP to Linux... And now i am curious ... Do windows or mac osx have IAP? May be not, but just to be sure

Thanks