Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Player Doesn't Render Anything on OS X — Gideros Forum

Player Doesn't Render Anything on OS X

Garyk1968Garyk1968 Member
edited April 2016 in Bugs and issues
Hi,

I have an issue with most projects not working correctly in Gideros Player. Basically I have a blank screen and nothing happens. Strange things is the example Bird Animation project works fine but any of my own projects or something like say, Drag Me in the examples does not.

Starting the player from terminal gives the following error:

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vVertex' to match BindAttributeLocation request

which occurs multiple times. I was on 2015.12 and had the issue and just upgraded to 2016.4 and still have it.

Just wondered if anyone had encountered this? I'm running 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Thanks

Gary

Comments

• john26john26 Maintainer
    This may be due to running an old version of OpenGL. Can you check which version you are running. It should say when you launch the player from the terminal.
  • 2016.4 works fine here on osx both for the player and as an export. I didn't try the dragme example though.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @John26 the output I get is:

2016-04-20 19:22:22.829 Gideros Player[3923:507] 19:22:22.829 WARNING: [0x7fff7696f310] >compload> AudioComponentPluginLoader.cpp:662: RegisterComponentsFromArray:
    2016-04-20 19:22:23.118 Gideros Player[3923:507] invalid drawable
    GL_VERSION:2.1 NVIDIA-8.26.29 310.40.55f01

GLSL_VERSION:1.20

• I have an Ati chipset in my Mac, that may be the reason why it's ok with mine?
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Not sure, I'm sure an older version used to work on my machine.
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited April 2016
    Yes, it probably because we recently moved to modern OpenGL to allow for 3D graphics, shaders etc (Gideros used to be OpenGL 1.0 which runs everywhere but is very limited). I think the minimum version of OpenGL we need is approximately 3.0 but I will need to check. You must have a very old Mac, I'm kind of surprised it can run Mavericks. What model is it?

It seems it runs some projects. It would be nice to narrow it down to which features are not supported. I might in future try to put a fall back mode where Gideros reverts to OpenGL 1.0 if it can't find various APIs. (some recent feature would then not appear but old Gideros apps would at least play) It's surprising how many people have very old graphics cards even in computers which have been upgraded to the latest OS.

In the meantime the only solution might be a new graphics card.
  • Hi John,

Yes I will do some more testing for you to narrow it down. The machine isn't that old its a mid-2012 model. Its my dev machine so has 16GB RAM and an SSD mainly for running VMs but I am actually running Mountain Lion, not Mavericks so maybe time to upgrade! I'll upgrade first and go from there.

I'm not keen on all these constantly evolving OSes (on Windows and OS X) which just add bulk and features that no-one really needs or wants!