Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
New game "Speedy Road" — Gideros Forum

New game "Speedy Road"

My isometric racing game "Speedy Road" is available in https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.jdbc.speedyroad

This is my first experiment with isometric perspective and Gideros. It performs quite well in my Bq Aquarius.
promotional_image.png
1024 x 500 - 438K
+1 -1 (+6 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• john26john26 Maintainer
    This looks amazing! Full 3D graphics in Gideros, I never thought I'd see the day. I'd love to know more about how you did it.. Are you using 3D meshes, Mesh.new(true)?
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    This looks amazing! Full 3D graphics in Gideros, I never thought I'd see the day. I'd love to know more about how you did it.. Are you using 3D meshes, Mesh.new(true)?
    They are isometric tiles that seems 3D. I use isometric to 2d coordinates conversion functions and Sprites as usual. I create a block array of tiles and they are rendered as isometric with Sprite class. The car is always in the same position, you only move the Blocks (group of Sprites) array.

Take a look to my previous thread http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/6054/isometric-endless-racing
  • It crashes on my device. Samsung Galaxy S4.
  • It crashes on my device. Samsung Galaxy S4.
    Could you send me the logcat in Google Play?
  • @jdbc, I can recommend Crashlytics. It's easy to install and gives you detailed Lua errors in real time.

https://try.crashlytics.com/

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    I have submitted new version with Crashlytics integrated.

Easy to integrate it with Android Studio. I guess I will never go back to Eclipse IDE for Android development.
  • @jdbc sent you the crash report. If that helps it crashes while loading the splash screen
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    @jdbc sent you the crash report. If that helps it crashes while loading the splash screen
    You are right, if your language are not english, french, spanish, portuguese, german or italian then app crashes. I forgot define default language as english.

I have just seen the crash in Crashlytics.

Thanks for your crash report. I will submit a fixed version.
  • @jdbc Damn I really wanted to try this game. In the video looks awesome and thats something I see first time in Gideros. But if you want to include Greek I guess I can help you!! ;)
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    @jdbc Damn I really wanted to try this game. In the video looks awesome and thats something I see first time in Gideros. But if you want to include Greek I guess I can help you!! ;)
    Just submitted with fixed problem, I guess.

Usually I translate the game to most common languages using english as default language. I can use Greek if you translate this lua array:
    local el = {
    				touch_speed = "Tap to speed up",
    				best = "Best ",
    				new_distance = "New Best Distance",
    				quit = "Quit application",
    				sure = "Are you sure?",
    				cancel = "Cancel",
    				yes = "Yes"
    				}
    el is the language code for Greeke, and I define one array for each translation. Then I define a getString function:
    function getString(key)

local language = strings[current_language]
    	if not language then
    		language = strings[default_language]
    	end

local value = language[key]
    	if value then
    		return value
    	else
    		return key
    	end
    end
    where default_language ="en"
  • @jdbc
    have you tried this:
    http://appcodingeasy.com/Gideros-Mobile/Localization-in-Gideros
    My system works quite well, only was a variable not declared.
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited November 2015
    looks nice, some small comments:
    -it said 'touch to accelerate' yet it behaved the opposite (touch to slow down)
    -nice design, the title letters should fit into the isometric 3d too, somehow it stands out for me. they should float in the air of the 3d world. check the intro titles of the movie 'panic room' (if i remember correctly)
    -similarly design related, the flipping change scene effect is sort of killing the nice 3d feeling of the world. a simple scroll would be better in this case. i guess.

grats
  • looks nice, some small comments:
    -it said 'touch to accelerate' yet it behaved the opposite (touch to slow down)
    -nice design, the title letters should fit into the isometric 3d too, somehow it stands out for me. they should float in the air of the 3d world. check the intro titles of the movie 'panic room' (if i remember correctly)
    -similarly design related, the flipping change scene effect is sort of killing the nice 3d feeling of the world. a simple scroll would be better in this case. i guess.

grats
    Tap first to speed up and then to slow down. May be it could say "Tap to start"
  • maybe. i just recall the wording was confusing (it was a few days ago when i tried it out).
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Any plans to release for iPhone?
  • @jdbc Installed and now playing. A very nice game!! I love the graphics. I'll rate it later too!

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    Any plans to release for iPhone?
    Yes, I will publish to Apple Store in one week.
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    Any plans for Windows Phone, desktop? :-)
    I am not sure if it is worth to submit games to Windows Phone. I do not have Windows installed, so I have to use VirtualBox with trial Windows. I only use Ubuntu and Mac OS, so I do not know.
  • I got this java exception in Crashlytics:

Fatal Exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No configs match configSpec
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$BaseConfigChooser.chooseConfig(GLSurfaceView.java:863)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.start(GLSurfaceView.java:1024)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1401)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1240)

it seems a problem with OpenGL 2.0, any idea?
  • Any details on the device where the error occurred?
  • Any details on the device where the error occurred?
    Nexus 4, screenshot is attached.
    error.png
    976 x 855 - 92K
  • @jdbc Damn I really wanted to try this game. In the video looks awesome and thats something I see first time in Gideros. But if you want to include Greek I guess I can help you!! ;)
    New version with Greek support.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    I got this java exception in Crashlytics:

Fatal Exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No configs match configSpec
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$BaseConfigChooser.chooseConfig(GLSurfaceView.java:863)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.start(GLSurfaceView.java:1024)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1401)
    at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1240)

it seems a problem with OpenGL 2.0, any idea?
    It means that gideros requested a frame buffer format, as well as depth and stencil buffer, that your device can't handle. I remember facing this not long ago, and I relaxed gideros needs in android consequently. That change will be in 2015.10, but I can't say wether your device will be happy or not.

• dreiko65dreiko65 Member
    edited November 2015
    @jdbc
    Still crashes! Are you sure its the language support?
    If so here is your code.
    local el = {
    				touch_speed = "Πιέστε για επιτάχυνση",
    				best = "Καλύτερη απόσταση",
    				new_distance = "Νεα καλύτερη απόσταση",
    				quit = "Έξοδος απο εφαρμογή",
    				sure = "Είστε σίγουρος;",
    				cancel = "Ακύρωση",
    				yes = "Ναι"
    				}
    I suppose you should have a font which supports Greek

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    @jdbc
    If so here is your code.
    local el = {
    				cancel = "Ακύρωση",
    				yes = "Ναι"
    				}

Yes I have a font which support Greek, I have test it on my mobile.

I have seen your crash, I will check again. Thanks.
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited November 2015
    @jdbc
    If so here is your code.
    local el = {
    				cancel = "Ακύρωση",
    				yes = "Ναι"
    				}

I found the problem, just the font name and uppercase letters.

I have submitted a new version with the fixes.
  • Yeap. It works now and its great. Good job @jdbc