Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Is it okay to use Gideros Studio v2015.03.22 still? — Gideros Forum

Is it okay to use Gideros Studio v2015.03.22 still?

mejonmejon Member
edited June 2015 in General questions
Hi,

I just installed Gideros Studio v2015.03.22, because it is the only version that works before v2015.04.04. I was wondering if I can still develop apps using this version.

Comments

• mejonmejon Member
    edited June 2015
    All versions before and including v2015.03.22 work anything else does not.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hi @mejon,

It is always okay for anyone to use the gideros version that work best for them.

If you experience issues from v2015.04.04 and onwards, it means that your graphic card doesn't support OpenGL shaders (we call this OpenGL 2 internally though this is not true for desktop versions). v2015.03.22 was the last to use only basic OpenGL (fixed pipeline).
    There was some discussions in the Core Team about dropping GL1 support. We agreed that GL1 only cards are mostly obsolete now, in fact GLES 1 phones are no longer in use, or represent an inisgnificant part of the market.

However recent changes in Gideros may make it possible to embed both versions, GL1 and GL2, so as to provide a fallback mode when running on old systems. Of course that would want to benefit from this fallback cannot use advanced features brought by GL2.
    But is it worth the work ?

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • mejonmejon Member
    Hello, I have the Nvidia Quadro FX 2500M graphics card that supports OpenGL 2.1. I just can't seem to update it. By using an older version of Gideros, would there be any problem making an app for android?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    No you won't have any problem to make an android app with an old gideros, just probably less features and depending on the versions some bugs not yet fixed.
    BTW you can still use a recent version yet not use the desktop player and develop directly on android player...

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • mejonmejon Member
    So I can download the latest version of Gideros Studio: v2015.06.30, and use android player? How would I use android player?
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    There will be an android apk in Gideros installation directory, which you can install on your phone and then launch it and launche the code from Gideros Studio
  • mejonmejon Member
    ok thanks @hgy29, and @ar2rsawseen. I have android player working.
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook