Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Box2D max velocity — Gideros Forum

Box2D max velocity

totebototebo Member
edited May 2015 in General questions
Hi guys,

When making No Brakes I bumped into a velocity limit, when the car just wouldn't travel faster. Luckily that limit were in excess of 600 mph in that particular game, so I didn't think much more of it. Now, in my new game, I have a kinetic body that I want to move very fast indeed, and have yet again bumped into this limit.

Now, I found a comment which explains:
"There is a maximum movement limit of 2.0 units per time step, given in the file b2Settings.h in the source code."
Is this a property I could access and change somehow? If not, is there any other trickery I can employ to make bodies move very fast?

Niclas

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com

Comments

• talistalis Guru
    edited May 2015
    I am not a box2d expert but as far as i know in box2d physics everything is calculated in meters and seconds. So if your object is in box2d 30 meters all calculations will be affected according to that one not the object size in pixels.

Maybe try rescaling your objects with:
    b2.setScale( x ) ----- (try some number like 2,3 if it will be faster than i am right)
    function.

This is totaly an experimental answer i never tested it nor coded something complex in box2d :D
  • totebototebo Member
    Yeah, scaling everything down would make things appear faster. The issue there, for me, is that I have 30 levels all done to a set scale in R.U.B.E, so I'm quite reluctant to go back and scale everything down. :)

Maybe this kinetic body will have to stick to the speed limits...
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com