Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Landscape mode broken when using iOS 8 SDK — Gideros Forum

Landscape mode broken when using iOS 8 SDK

edited September 2014 in Bugs and issues
More fun news for those looking to upgrade... Landscape mode doesn't appear to work properly. It basically attempts to cram a portrait-style window into the left 3/4 of the screen. Not surprisingly, this doesn't work at all.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Update 2: Disregard what I just posted below. After manually deleting GiderosiOSPlayer from my device and re-running the app from XCode, the problem went away. Strange.

Update: I reverted back to the 7.1 SDK, recompiled, and although it's fine on my 7.1 devices, my 8.0 iPad 3 still exhibits this issue. Unfortunately, it's not an SDK problem, but a compatibility problem with the OS itself.
  • hgvyas123hgvyas123 Guru
    edited September 2014
    so does your problem solved. This is how it looks in Gideros simulator and ios8 iphone4s simulator. how can i fix this as i need to submit ipa to appstore in few days. does compiling with ios7 sdk will work for ios8 device also

Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 10.30.14 am.png
    1636 x 773 - 122K
  • Same problem here also as of this morning :P
  • Same problem here also as of this morning :P
  • I changed this round in AppDelegate.m which fixed it in the simulator at least...

gdr_initialize(self.viewController.glView, bounds.size.height, bounds.size.width, false);
  • Works fine on real 6+ too :)
  • So all you did was switch height with width?
    And how about older devices?, like ios 6 and 7?
  • edited September 2014
    I started having this problem when I upgraded to Xcode 6, and the 8.0 SDK that comes with it. GiderosiOSPlayer exhibited this issue, as well as my game (after compiling). Devices running versions of iOS prior to 8.0 were fine.

I downloaded Xcode 5.1.whatever again, pulled the 7.1 SDK out of it and stuck it in the SDK folder in Xcode 6. After recompiling, everything seems to be alright with the player on my 8.0 device. My game, however, required me to manually de-select portrait mode in Xcode before recompiling. It runs fine, and auto-rotate even works so long as landscape left and landscape right are the only options selected.

I should note that my 8.0 device is an iPad 3, not that it necessarily matters.
  • All my devices are on iOS8 now so can't test further than that but it works on all xCode 6 simulators and real 6+. Will test some more 2moz.
  • edited September 2014
    I tried to compile a build (8.0 SDK with a Deployment Target of 5.0) for my 7.1 iPod touch (5th gen), but even though I'm compiling with the right architecture (armv7), it's telling me it can't install it because it can't find a valid architecture.

I think Xcode may just be acting like a turd here. It won't even install with the 7.1 SDK now.... Sigh. I'm starting to feel like I'm compiling for Android here.
  • Yeesh... alright. Here's the low-down. All tests were compiled with a 5.0 Deployment Target. I did a fresh, full export of my project, first deleting the folder. I then removed arm64 from the Architectures list, because my Gideros libraries have no 64-bit support.

"Faill" or "Pass" pertains to the success of landscape mode.

iPhone 6 (iOS 8.0, of course) with 8.0 SDK - Fail
    iPhone 6 with 7.1 SDK - Fail
    iPod Touch (iOS 7.0, 5th gen) with 8.0 SDK - Pass
    iPod Touch (iOS 7.0, 5th gen) with 7.1 SDK - Pass

I then made the changes mentioned by MobAmuse (swapping width for height in AppDelegate.m)

iPhone 6 - Pass
    iPod Touch - Fail, displaying EXACTLY the same symptoms that the iPhone 6 did.

Like I said before, I ran in to the same problem on my iPad 3 after I installed iOS 8.0 on it. So, it's not the device, and it's not the SDK; it's the OS version.
  • iOS 8 just annihilated a number of rotation callbacks, including willRotateToInterfaceOrientation:, which Gideros uses in its ViewController. So far, I haven't found a practical workaround, so we might be stuck with bringing the Gideros libraries themselves up-to-date.
  • I just downloaded a game I have on TestFlight, that I had compiled with the previous Xcode, and it runs just fine on my 8.0 devices. So, I guess it doesn't matter what SDK you compile the thing with; if you're using Xcode 6, it does SOMETHING that screws everything up. I may just revert back to Xcode 5.whatever and call it good enough for now.
  • Re-installed Xcode 5.1.1, plugged my iOS 8 device in before I opened it (important in order for Xcode to recognize it, apparently), compiled, and voila... It ran without a hitch. I'm going to finish this game, get it out the door, and worry about all this later. Much later. :)
  • OK and thank you for the further testing.
  • it seems like compiling with ios 7.1 sdk will work so i guess using xcode 5.1 is fine for now as xcode 6 creates problem. tested my game in ipad mini running ios8 with ios7.1 sdk compilation and it is working fine.

@MobAmuse :- for me your trick is working for iphone4s but not ipad. :(
  • I think my dirty fix it will only work in practice if you compile with Xcode 6 for iOS8 devices upwards then it should be OK.

Gideros needs fixing as all this is starting to get a little too messy for my liking. For Droid it's fine but iOS ...not really no.
  • But do you guys have all orientations selected or only landscape ones?
    As in, in xcode you can select to limit app only to specific orientations, by default I think both portrait and lanscape are selected.
    So if you limit this selection to landscape only, does it change anything?

• It's broken I tried all of those yesterday.
  • Only Landscape ones.

doesn't work if i compile with ios 8.0 sdk and xcode 6 how ever if i go for xcode 5.1.1 and test it in ipad running ios8 it works.
  • Haha even more freaky: I just tested on iPad Mini (iOS8) with my fudge fix and it was still wrong until I then changed the landscape only in build settings and then it worked.

If I don't do my fudge fix tho it breaks again too.

This has broken my mind :P

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited September 2014
    Ok here's what you can try:
    Let's edit AppDelegate.m file

First let's add:
    #ifndef NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1
    # define NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1 1047.25
    #endif
    Then let's create a method to check version:
    - (BOOL)isNotRotatedBySystem{
    	BOOL OSIsBelowIOS8 = [[[UIDevice currentDevice] systemVersion] floatValue] < 8.0;
    	BOOL SDKIsBelowIOS8 = floor(NSFoundationVersionNumber) <= NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1;
    	return OSIsBelowIOS8 || SDKIsBelowIOS8;
    }
    And then in - (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions

let's check and swapt orientation if needed:
    if([self isNotRotatedBySystem])
            gdr_initialize(self.viewController.glView, bounds.size.width, bounds.size.height, true);
        else
            gdr_initialize(self.viewController.glView, bounds.size.height, bounds.size.width, true);
    I've also attached modified file from IOS template, which you can simply replace, and then the fix will be in every exported project

Unfortunately I'm far far away from Mac now, so writing it all from the tip of my head, but if anyone can confirm it's working, I can submit this quick fix to repo
    zip
    zip
    AppDelegate.zip
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • If I don't set 'portrait' in build settings for a landscape app using that I get...

2014-09-20 08:33:09.556 CrockOGoldSlots[451:74134] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'UIApplicationInvalidInterfaceOrientation', reason: 'Supported orientations has no common orientation with the application, and [ViewController shouldAutorotate] is returning YES'
    *** First throw call stack:
    (0x27069e3f 0x349dec8b 0x27069d85 0x2a57412f 0x2a573d09 0x2a5739b7 0x5e195 0x2a571d49 0x2a766acf 0x2a76901b 0x2a773899 0x2a7678a7 0x2d7410e9 0x270305b5 0x2702f879 0x2702e3b3 0x26f7c621 0x26f7c433 0x2a56ba1f 0x2a566809 0x5dbf3 0x34f5eaaf)
    libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

If I do set 'portrait' tho no it's still wrong on iPad Mini (iOS8)

Er :)
  • Update for Gideros landscape apps built with Xcode 6:

Doing this fix in AppDelegate.m...

gdr_initialize(self.viewController.glView, bounds.size.height, bounds.size.width, false);

...and also unselecting 'Portrait' option in build settings for both iPhone and iPad...

Results in:

iPad Mini (iOS 8) = PASS
    iPad Air (iOS 8) = PASS
    iPhone 5S (iOS 8) = PASS
    iPhone 6+ (IOS 8) = PASS

...so I'll stick with that and just build for IOS 8 only now given it'll all be that soon anyway.

L8rz

• @MobAmuse is it possible you have autorotation disabled in Gideros project?
  • No autorotation is fine and in fact the test app auto rotates normally on simulators and real devices for me with the above bodge.
  • dominikusdpdominikusdp Member
    edited October 2014
    Update for Gideros landscape apps built with Xcode 6:

Doing this fix in AppDelegate.m...

...and also unselecting 'Portrait' option in build settings for both iPhone and iPad...

@mobamuse We should add this function in ViewController.m to avoid the "Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'UIApplicationInvalidInterfaceOrientation'" error, isn't it ?
    - (NSUInteger)supportedInterfaceOrientations
    {
        return UIInterfaceOrientationMaskLandscape;
    }
    Have you test on ios 7 and ios 6 ? Is this fix safe to be used in production ? Just wondering, hehe.

Edit: I have checked MobAmuse's trick and Artur's code on iPad 3 iOS 8 and iPad 4 iOS 7.1, everything's fine, thanks @ar2rsawseen for the code, submitting on App Store now, wish me luck :P will check it on iPhone later :D
  • This is confirmed working:

"First let's add:
    #ifndef NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1
    # define NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1 1047.25
    #endif

Then let's create a method to check version:
    - (BOOL)isNotRotatedBySystem{
    BOOL OSIsBelowIOS8 = [[[UIDevice currentDevice] systemVersion] floatValue] < 8.0;
    BOOL SDKIsBelowIOS8 = floor(NSFoundationVersionNumber) <= NSFoundationVersionNumber_iOS_7_1;
    return OSIsBelowIOS8 || SDKIsBelowIOS8;
    }

And then in - (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions

let's check and swapt orientation if needed:
    if([self isNotRotatedBySystem])
    gdr_initialize(self.viewController.glView, bounds.size.width, bounds.size.height, false);
    else
    "

but if you set the gdr init to true then you get an error even if you add:

- (NSUInteger)supportedInterfaceOrientations
    {
    return UIInterfaceOrientationMaskLandscape;
    }

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited November 2014
    I've also noticed that with the above fix and running <8.0 then the advertisers get the wrong size for the adverts. They are all too big for the screen.

Edit: This seemed to sort itself out after a while!
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com