Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
30 or 60 fps — Gideros Forum

30 or 60 fps

Bill5567Bill5567 Member
edited March 2013 in General questions
If I set my game up to run at 60fps, and the time step for box 2d set to 1/60 - game looks and run well.
If I set it to 30 fps, and set the time step for box 2d to 1/30 - its OK, but not so smooth.

The problem is on a samsung galaxy SIII, if power saving is switched on, the OS will limited the fps to 40.
With it setup for 60fps, but running at 40fps, the physics all looks a bit slow.

Whats the best solution here ?

Is there a way to turn power saving off (without writing an extension) ?
Should the game be setup to ran at 30 fps.

What the normal target 30 or 60 ?

Comments

• tkhnomantkhnoman Member
    edited March 2013
    I prefer 30 fps.

First reason, 60 fps actually will tire the eyes if not properly managed(i tested this myself), especially if the whole screen is moving. Human eyes indeed can catch high fps, but the higher it takes, the more it will tire of the eyes.
    If the eyes relaxed(when the human didn't concentrate enough to the game), then only around 30 fps are being caught. So it kind of waste.
    I prefer my game for being played without slightly harming the user (also ergonomically in controls.) If i want to increase the imaging quality, then i will increase it on the graphic quality and animation.

Second reason is you will be feel safer when developing on 30 fps. Don't need to be afraid of too much calculation, different spec of device, etc.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Ok thanks, I'll switch to 30 and see how it plays.